Memories of Matt

  • Tana Beverwyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8 11:28 AM

      Matthew McNulty- this reminded me so much of you, I couldn't resist.  ;-) And such a cool word!

      The Word of the Day for March 8 is:

      katzenjammer   \KAT-sun-jam-er\   (noun)
          *1 : hangover
           2 : distress
           3 : a discordant clamor

      Example sentence:
           The party left Jamie with a heavy-duty katzenjammer and
      some hazy memories.

      Did you know?
           Have you ever heard a cat wailing and felt that you could
      relate? Apparently some German speakers once did. "Katzenjammer"
      comes from the German "Katze" (meaning "cat") and "Jammer"
      (meaning "distress" or "lamentation"). The word literally means
      "wailing of cats," but it is used for a hangover or a depressed
      feeling. English speakers borrowed the word in the 19th century,
      and eventually applied it to commotion as well. The word isn't
      as popular in English today as it was around the mid-20th
      century, but it's well-known to many because of the
      "Katzenjammer Kids," a long-running comic strip featuring the
      incorrigibly mischievous twins Hans and Fritz.

      *Indicates the sense illustrated in the example sentence.

      To join the list via e-mail, send a blank e-mail to:
      mw-wod-subscribe-request@....m-w.com
      To leave the list via e-mail, send a blank e-mail to:
      mw-wod-signoff-request@....m-w.com

      Questions about your subscription?
      Write to: mw-wod-request@....m-w.com
      Questions or comments about the Word of the Day?
      Write to: word@...

      (c) 2002 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

      Our worst fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... It is our light, not our darkness that frightens us.  We ask ourselves: Who am I to be brillant, gorgeous, talented, or fabulous?  Well, actually, who are you not to be?"

      -Nelson Mandela