Food Crisis

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2002
      These stories come from CN , who had a nice lower headline (whatever the
      heck those things are called): Food emergnecy in Malawi thousands threatened
      to starve...

      Until people in country like you explain the situation to CNN, Time,
      Newsweek, etc., it will NEVER get out. Unfortunately, your press will not
      sell newstime or commercials, so it is better to ehar that people are
      starving, rather than people refuse to rotate crops, modify diets, and
      resist the one-crop philosophy...

      Sorry kids.

      But, on the bright side...you are not in Afghanistan trying to Save The
      Children...
      ----------------

      Oh lord, not again! Christine, help me, where do you get these UN IRIN news
      pieces about Malawi falling to pieces? I need to direct my comments to the
      source of this craziness! Can't they see that their approach to solving the
      situation is just leading to compounded problems down the road?? PLEASE
      Ujeni-ers & Nutrition Society Members, help me to tell people about
      encouraging a diversity of foods - for planting, for eating, and for giving
      'assistance' in time of need. We are causing the price of maize to go up by
      putting so much demand on it, we are causing food insecurity by relying on
      one food. People HAVE eaten - avocadoes, greens, sugar cane, guavas,
      bananas, pineapples, green vegetables galore and MORE, but they haven't
      eaten maize, so OF COURSE they will tell you they haven't eaten for days.

      The country does NOT need 2.2 mt of maize, it needs about: 1/4 mt maize,
      1/4 mt millet, 1/4 mt sorghum, 1/4 mt yams & cassava, 1/4 mt mixed types of
      potatoes, 1/4 mt fruits, 1/4 mt mixed types of beans, 1/4 mt mixed types of
      nuts,1/4 mt mixed types of vegetables (fruit, fungus, leaves, roots), Bit of
      animal foods, Some oil seeds of some sort......This is just a guesstimate
      off the top of my head, but I think you get the picture - diversity! Oops,
      now I think I've gone and overfed the nation. The problem is NOT a LACK of
      maize, it is an EXCESS of maize!