Fw: [ujeni] Not again!

  • Weber
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2002
      OK Stacia...

      I'm trying to spread the word but.....are there any NGO's who are doing it the right way?  It really sounds as if there is a legitimate hunger problem right now, but I know you are there and see what's really happening.  Do people have enough avocado, greens, sugar cane, etc. now to have adequate nutrition and not be starving in spite of the fact they don't feel that lump of nsima filling their tummies?  If there really is some starvation from lack of enough food is any aid group supplying the right kind of nutrition now?

      If there is even close to the problem that keeps getting reported I feel compelled to give some money but don't want it to go to only maize relief.  I do know from having worked in the kids ward at QECH that there is always some starvation.  Is it a matter of it just being more noticed and publicized this year instead of it being as much worse as it sounds?   Hey, thanks in advance for any answers and hope you can keep your sanity through it all!        Cathy

      Oh lord, not again!  Christine, help me, where do you get these UN IRIN news pieces about Malawi falling to pieces?  I need to direct my comments to the source of this craziness!  Can't they see that their approach to solving the situation is just leading to compounded problems down the road??  PLEASE Ujeni-ers & Nutrition Society Members, help me to tell people about encouraging a diversity of foods - for planting, for eating, and for giving 'assistance' in time of need.  We are causing the price of maize to go up by putting so much demand on it, we are causing food insecurity by relying on one food.  People HAVE eaten - avocadoes, greens, sugar cane, guavas, bananas, pineapples, green vegetables galore and MORE, but they haven't eaten maize, so OF COURSE they will tell you they haven't eaten for days.

      The country does NOT need 2.2 mt of maize, it needs about:   1/4 mt maize, 1/4 mt millet, 1/4 mt sorghum, 1/4 mt yams & cassava, 1/4 mt mixed types of potatoes, 1/4 mt fruits, 1/4 mt mixed types of beans, 1/4 mt mixed types of nuts,1/4 mt mixed types of vegetables (fruit, fungus, leaves, roots), Bit of animal foods, Some oil seeds of some sort......This is just a guesstimate off the top of my head, but I think you get the picture - diversity!  Oops, now I think I've gone and overfed the nation.  The problem is NOT a LACK of maize, it is an EXCESS of maize!

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2002
        Send me the money, Cathy...I ...uh...will see that it gets to the most
        deserving...