A touch more info on what "Dubaya" wants to destroy

  • Matthew McNulty
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5 8:11 PM

      From:"Dane Smith" <dane@...>
      To:"NPCA Advocacy" <npca-k@...>
      Subject:FW: Peace Corps News
      Date:Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:04:13 -0500

      Friends,
      Three brief items of news:

      I.  Concerns about the Future Autonomy of the Peace Corps
      Some of our members have expressed concern that the Peace Corps may be
      absorbed into the new USA Freedom Corps created by Executive Order in
      January 2002.  The NPCA is aware of earlier moves -- actual and
      proposed --
      to absorb the Peace Corps into something else, i.e. State Department or
      AID,
      Action, Americorps.  We would strongly oppose any move to undercut the
      Peace
      Corps' independence and autonomy.

      The Executive Order creating USA Freedom Corps is somewhat reassuring
      in
      that regard.   USAFC appears to be an umbrella organization designed to
      facilitate and help institutionalize response to the President's appeal
      for
      citizen service.   The Executive Order indicates that the Peace Corps
      will
      retain its autonomy.  The Director of the Peace Corps is a member of
      the
      Board
      of USA Freedom Corps.  We will keep an eye on this issue.  We have
      already
      registered our views on it with the Peace Corps (Gaddi Vasquez and Jody
      Olsen)
      and will do so with the White House and the Congress during upcoming
      consultations.  We will strongly oppose it, if it becomes a threat.

      II.  Safety of Peace Corps Volunteers
      Other members have expressed worry that risks to Volunteers in service
      could
      increase, with increased numbers and special focus on Muslim nations.
      In his
      February 15 statement after the swearing-in of Gaddi Vasquez as
      Director,
      President Bush noted that "the war [against terror] thrust upon us an
      enemy
      who hates every good -- everything the Peace Corps stands for."  He
      spoke
      about strengthening the Peace Corps and "creating opportunities in
      other
      nations [including] new opportunities in Muslim nations for us to
      spread the
      good story about the values, the universal values, we hold so dear."

      The Peace Corps currently has a task force, chaired by Deputy Director
      Jody
      Olsen, looking in depth at security issues.  The safety of Volunteers
      is
      clearly a priority consideration for the Agency.  However, in meetings
      with
      Vasquez and Olsen today and shortly with other members of the
      Administration, as well as with key members of Congress, we have
      stressed
      and will stress that doubling the number of Volunteers -- which we
      favor --
      needs to be done in such a way as to minimize threats to their
      security.  We
      are noting that special care needs to be exercised in increasing
      volunteers
      in the Middle East, Central and South Asia at this time.

      III.  Dick Pyle Begins Consulting Position with the Peace Corps

      NPCA Board Chair Dick Pyle has recently accepted a consultant position
      with
      the Peace Corps and will begin working with the Office of Special
      Services
      March 4.  That office handles issues and activities relating to his
      training
      and experience as a counseling psychologist.  Dick will leave the Board
      in
      June when his term is up.  He will remain on the board until that time
      as
      long as there is no conflict of interest with his new postion.

      Have a nice week-end.

      Dane Smith
      Ethiopia/Eritrea 1963-65
      President
      president@...

      ---
      Please note: The materials and information included in this listserv
      are provided as a service to you.  The NPCA is not responsible for the
      accuracy of information provided from outside sources.

      We encourage subscribers to pass the information along to colleagues
      and other interested parties.  Please credit this listserv as the source
      and include subscription information.

      To subscribe to this list, send a blank e-mail to:
      NPCA-K-join@...
      Or point your browser to:
      http://list.vita.org/scripts/lyris.pl?join=NPCA-K

      All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like
      me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing
      you with beer.

      --Homer Simpson

      Do You Yahoo!?