Off the air

  • John Patten
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2002
      Thanks for the funny stories. Brings back a lot of
      memories. I'm in Islamabad right now and am leaving on
      the UN plane tomorrow morning for Northern
      Afghanistan. It should be an adventure. I'll be off
      the air for a period of months as we won't have access
      to email. The way I understand it is that we will
      mostly have access to mutton.

      I have to clarify in Pauls mind the other croc story
      though. Colors are a bit different in his world.
      Steve, Bernie, Paul and I hiked back from the beach to
      Steve's house so we could get the Ilala. It was pitch
      dark when we got back and people were coming up the
      hill very agitated as they were bringing a croc bite
      victim to the hospital. Although unbeknownst to him as
      he was a city slicker, Paul thought that as they
      passed in front of us that was the opportune time to
      test the flash on his camera, which looked like studio
      54 in the dark. As the Mozambicans started to scream
      at us, and we screamed over to Paul "NO!" in very slow
      motion, the second test illustrated in freeze frame a
      screaming mob that was now on the doorstep. That's
      what we get for trying to steal people's souls.
      Eventually, the woman got her soul back, Bernie said
      "are we safe here?" and Paul said "What'd I do, what'd
      I do?" We were happy when the Ilala came, but that
      certainly would have been a good picture had we been
      allowed to keep it. Good luck on the new job dude!
      Take care everyone, JP

      http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • Stephen Arthur Berry
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 27, 2002
        JP,

        don't know if you'll get this, but enjoy Afghanistan and be safe.
        you have the details of the second story just as i remember them.

        steve

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 28, 2002
          That part is true...>It has taught me one lesson. Always carry an extra
          roll of film, that one can pull out in the event that you take a picture you
          are not supposed to.