Malawi news catch-up

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2002
      Back from vacation. A lot has happened, particularly around the Zambian elections. So much so that I'll be sending a news pt 2 message with stories from countries other than Malawi...

      Row over Malawi marital
      rape bill

      By Raphael Tenthani in Blantyre

      A proposal to criminalise marital rape in Malawi
      have sparked a fierce debate between
      women's groups and conservatives.

      The controversial plan, drafted by a southern
      African women's organisation, would make
      forced sex within marriage a criminal offence
      punishable by up to seven years hard labour in

      Many Malawian men dismiss the campaign, and
      say the activists have nothing better to do
      with the thousands of dollars they get from

      Malawian law currently defines rape as forcing
      a member of the opposite sex who is not one's
      spouse into having sex without consent.

      Cultural beliefs

      Seodi White, whose Malawi chapter of Women
      in Law in Southern Africa drafted the bill, says
      the proposed law would cut down domestic
      violence that affects so many women in the

      According to Ms White,
      research carried out by
      her organisation found
      that 75% of Malawian
      wives had been forced
      by to have sex with
      their husbands who
      come home either drunk
      or drugged.

      Most of these women,
      the study says, will not
      speak out because they
      fear being divorced by their husbands.

      Ms White attributes the high incidence of
      marital rape to weak laws on rape and cultural

      "Courts have generally viewed rape, as created
      under the penal code, as not applying to
      married couples," she says.

      "And, based on our cultural beliefs, the
      consent to marriage has been recognised as
      automatic consent to sex even when the
      woman does not feel like it.

      "The exemption of husbands from prosecution
      under the offences of rape therefore totally
      fails to provide equal protection for all women,"
      she says.

      Male opposition

      But many Malawian men view the matter

      Supreme Court judge
      Duncan Tambala told a
      gathering of activists
      that he would have
      problems accepting
      that an offence like
      marital rape should be

      The judge said
      criminalising forced sex
      among married couples
      would be inconsistent
      with the continued
      existence of marriage.

      "By entering into marriage each spouse is
      taken to have consented to sexual intercourse
      with the other spouse during the existence of
      his or her marriage," he said.

      Church members have also frowned upon the
      moves to criminalise forced sex among married

      Pastor Simion Ngana, a cleric from central
      district of Ntcheu, says the Bible states that
      men and women should be submissive to each
      other in marriage.

      "What does it mean when it says the body of
      the man belongs to the woman and so is the
      woman's?" he says.

      Sex elsewhere

      Most men on the streets of Malawi dismiss the
      issue, saying it defeats the government's fight
      against the spread of Aids.

      Many argue that if a man is faced with revolt
      in his own bedroom he might seek solace
      outside, thus increasing chances of
      contracting the disease which currently
      affects more than 10% of the country's

      "If my wife says 'no', what do I do?" says one
      man. "I will be forced to pay for sex

      But Seodi White says her organisation will
      continue to push for legislation against marital

      "Women... are often raped by their bedfellows
      as a form of punishment," she says.

      Whether the women's rights activists will win
      their battle or not in this male-dominated
      society one thing is certain: this debate is sure
      to rage well into the year 2002

      Malawi hippo wreaks

      By Raphael Tenthani in Blantyre

      A bereaved hippopotamus has gone on the
      rampage in southern Malawi after wildlife
      officials shot and killed its partner at the

      The hippo has
      destroyed several crop
      fields in Zomba district
      around Lake Chilwa.

      Local Chief Mkumbira
      said the area could
      experience severe food
      shortages next year if
      the hippo is not killed.

      The chief said the animal ran away when
      wildlife officers killed its partner, but ran amok
      when it returned and could not find its mate.

      'Out of control'

      Wildlife officers said in a statement they killed
      the first hippopotamus because it was
      threatening the lives of people and their crops.

      "The beast ran out of control," Chief Mkumbira

      He said several hectares of crops, especially
      maize, had been decimated.

      "At the rate it is destroying our fields, most of
      us won't harvest anything," he said.

      Zomba was one of 14 of the country's 27
      districts that were devastated by flash floods
      during the last rainy season.

      Muluzi to Launch Billion Kwacha Housing Scheme

      Daily Times (Blantyre)
      January 3, 2002
      Posted to the web January 2, 2002
      Frank Namangale
      President Bakili Muluzi has announced that government is going to launch a K3.2 billion housing scheme targeting very poor people in the villages throughout the country.
      Addressing a new years' day rally in Mangochi yesterday, the President said the housing scheme will be launched under MASAF three soon.
      "Government will be providing building materials like cement, iron sheets, nails, doors, among others. Committees will be formed in villages and will include builders. Our plan however, is that we will start with pilot projects in the Southern, Central and Northern regions," Muluzi said.
      The president preached unity to Malawians in the new year to bring harmony in the country.
      Muluzi, who was on holiday for the festive season, condemned women who encourage school girls to drop-out and get married.
      "While at home in my village, a headmaster of a certain school came and reported that at his school, 21 girl-students out of 41 have dropped out due to pregnancies. This is very worrying, especially when UDF government had introduced free primary education in 1994 when it took power.
      "Sometimes the problem is with you women. You should be the first people to encourage these girls to work hard in class. Government would not even allow initiations ceremonies to disturb school. I'm not saying these ceremonies are bad, no, bat they should not disturb girls," he said.

      Floods Displace 250 Villagers

      Daily Times (Blantyre)
      January 3, 2002
      Posted to the web January 2, 2002
      Frank Phiri
      ABOUT 250 villagers have been displaced by floods which hit Chikwawa district in the Lower Shire valley in the past week.
      Chikwawa District Commissioner (DC) Kiswell Dakamawu said on Monday in Chikwawa that the floods have rendered at least 75 families from both Namatchuwa and Biyasi villages homeless. The floods have partially affected 11 other villages.
      Villagers in Namatchuwa and Biyasi villages in Paramount Chief Lundu and Traditional Authority Maseya found on the precincts of Mwanza river, have taken refuge at Bereu Baptist Church, he said.
      Dakamawu said some of the victims' houses have collapsed, while others were covered by water which went on to sweep away planted maize seeds in gardens.
      "The figures of displaced households could be higher since we're still assessing the impact of the floods in the areas affected. The problem is serious in the two villages only, although the situation was still worrying in the 11 others," said Dakamawu, who could not immediately establish the number of displaced or missing livestock.
      The DC described the situation following the flooding, which he attributed to high rainfall in the Shire highlands as 'not very desperate', saying unlike last year when officials were taken unawares by the recurring floods, contingency plans are in force this year to avert the problem.
      "As of now, the situation is not very desperate. We have alerted government through the department of Relief and Disaster Preparedness and hope that it will assist us by providing funds for implementing our contingency proposals," he said.
      He disclosed that the assembly has proposed a budget of K200 000 for implementing its contingency plan, which includes a component of civic education to the people on the need to relocate to higher grounds.
      Chikwawa is a traditional flood-prone area and was one of the hardest hit last year when one of the worst floods in living memory left at least 14 districts lying under water, forcing the government to declare a national disaster and launch local and international relief assistance appeals.
      At least 31,500 households were last year affected by the floods in Chikwawa alone, according to Dakamawu.

      'More Demarcations in 2004 Elections'

      Daily Times (Blantyre)
      January 3, 2002
      Posted to the web January 2, 2002
      Frank Namangale
      ELECTORAL Commission (EC) said yesterday it will demarcate more parliamentary constituencies and amend some electoral laws for the 2004 Presidential and Parliamentary general elections.
      Chief Elections Officer George Chimwaza told a news conference in Blantyre that a demarcation law is being drafted and will be tabled in Parliament in June this year.
      He said the law intends to set up a permanent legal basis for guiding the process of demarcation of constituencies.
      "This should help the Commission in establishing a detailed legal framework to support and mitigate any possible challenges to the demarcation process," Chimwaza explained, adding that a Canadian consultant will assist in this part.
      In 1999, opposition political parties accused the EC of demarcating more contituencies in the ruling UDF's southern region stronghold.
      Chimwaza said this time around, the demarcation would be based on clear criteria.
      "We would want to have equal voters in each constituency. There could be a constituency in the Northern Region with a population of 3,000 and another in the Southern with 5,000 people. This is what we are looking at when we talk of demarcation," he explained.
      Chimwaza said the strategic plan that was drawn last year is already under implementation while the other part awaits funding.
      He said the Commission also plans to amend the electoral laws, prepare rules and regulations and that draft amendments are being discussed at the committee stage of the Commission in consultation with the Ministry of Justice.
      "On amending electoral laws, we are considering period of registration, disqualifications of candidates, powers and operation of the Commission, election offences, among others," Chimwaza said.
      He added that laws guiding the Commission in the Parliamentary Elections Act were different from those in the Constitution. That is why there are these ammendments, he said.
      The Chief Elections Officer said the Commission computerised the records of voters who registered in 1999 and subsequent elections. He added that so far the Commission has done all necessary preparations for the production of voter identities (IDs).
      "The computerised voters data has been tested by a competent ID production firm and proved to be of high quality for production of IDs. We are only looking for funds to produce these IDs, " he said. New voters would be included in this exercise expected to be finished by 2003, he said.
      The Commission, said Chimwaza, would also intesify civic and voter education and work with various partners to achieve meaningful results.

      Government Defends Land Policy On Foreigners

      Daily Times (Blantyre)
      January 2, 2002
      Posted to the web January 2, 2002
      Times Reporter
      GOVERNMENT has defended its proposal to prohibit foreign ownership of land in its land reform proposals saying that foreigners would be able to own land in the country if they engaged local shareholders.
      Minister of Lands Thengo Maloya told a United Nations news agency recently that the government would place no limits on expatriate shareholders if foreign companies had local shareholders to own land in the country.
      "If foreign companies had local shareholders they would be able to own land in the country and we would not like to undervalue a company because it will depend on the company and the Malawian," said Maloya.
      The policy, passed by a cabinet committee and is yet to go through parliament later this year, covers a wide range of issues from ownership to inheritance laws, and from land use to the development of customary land.
      The policy says non-citizens currently in possession of freehold estates in Malawi will, in seven years following the coming into effect of this policy, obtain Malawian citizenship in order to retain their free ownership.
      The majority of Malawi's tea, coffee, sugar and tobacco estates are foreign -owned and there are fears that if ownership is changed from freehold to leasehold, banks could withdraw loans.
      Since September, when government released the draft policy for debate, a cross section of civil society, including the donors have focused on the prohibition of foreign ownwership with some saying that it is an infringement of a constitutional right.
      Rafiq Hajat director of Policy Interaction, an NGO formed soon after the draft land policy was released, said that under section 28 of the Constitution that every person will be able to acquire property alone or in association with others.
      "Section 2 of the same section says no person shall be arbitraly deprived of property," he said.
      Also commenting on the draft policy, the British government's Department for International Development (DFID) summed up the common view when it told a United Nations news agency that "the devil will be in the detail."
      "There have been concerns but as long as the discussion is going on in an open way, and it has been encouraging how discussions have taken place so far, then it should be fine," said Harry Potter, a DFID senior official.
      Some years ago, squateers encrouched some estates in Thyolo
      Malawi has one of the highest densities in Africa at 170 inhabitants per square kilometer.

      Japan to Support Rural Electrification Project

      Daily Times (Blantyre)
      January 3, 2002
      Posted to the web January 2, 2002
      Frank Phiri
      The government has said that it will implement the Fifth phase of its rural electrification project with financial support from the Japanese government.
      Harry Thomson, Environmental Affairs minister disclosed to Daily Times at Kapichira power station in Chikwawa this week that the government hopes to speed up the electricity penetration rate in rural areas and reduce the 10 year period frame set to achieve this target through the implementation of the Fifth phase.
      Thomson who could not say how much the Japanese government would provide for the new phase, said there are indications that the government will achieve the projected 10 per cent electricity access to households in the country much earlier than in the projected 10 years.
      "We've made fantastic progress with Phase Four of the project as evidenced by the fact that most focal points in remote parts of the country have been connected. Japan
      "What remains is to connect the electricity to households from the focal points and this is where the problem is because it seems that most of the households are not ready with their connections," Thomson said.
      He said that the Phase Four of the rural electrification project has cost the government up to K430 million, but pointed out that the electricity penetration in the country was still drastically low.
      "Electricity access in the country is currently standing at 4 per cent, and out of this rural penetration is still below one per cent and we want to improve the situation to give access to everyone," the minister said.
      He disclosed that government was also seriously considering exploiting other sources of electricity generation such as coal and solar in the wake of continued environmental degradation along the country's key hydro electricity generation source, Shire river which is leading to perrennial black outs in the country.
      "Deforastation and environmental degradation along the Shire and other rivers is continuing in general continue at an alarming and endangering our hydro electricity. We're therefore seriosly considering other available generation sources such as coal and the sun, despite their high cost to acquire," he said.

      DPP to Prosecute Dedza Cops

      Daily Times (Blantyre)
      December 27, 2001
      Posted to the web December 27, 2001
      Mc Donald Chapalapata
      POLICE have finally handed over the file of three policemen from Dedza Police Station for prosecution for assaulting and causing bodily harm to a young woman, six months after the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) ordered for their prosecution.
      Assistant Commissioner of Police Anaclet Kandodo said at a meeting between senior police officers and the Ombudsman in Mangochi recently that the file has now been handed over to the DPP chambers for prosecution.
      "Everything has been sorted out and I can now confirm that the file is now with the DPP for prosecution," said Kandodo.
      He, however, could not say whether the policeman, Francis Chikaonda and two others were arrested and charged as per DPP instructions.
      Chikaonda and the other two policemen beat up and injured 20-year-old Ruth Msiska when she had gone to the police station to record a statement after her neighbour complained to them that Msiska had poured water in his yard early last year.
      Msiska complained to the Ombudsman Enock Chibwana who recommended to the DPP that the three cops be prosecuted.
      Police spokesperson Oliver Soko could not say whether, as a result of the prosecution, the three cops have been interdicted or suspended pending the outcome of the case.
      "I can confirm that the matter is with the DPP and I cannot comment further than that," said Soko.
      The DPP, Fahad Assani said he was not aware whether the file has been handed over to his office since he assigned the case to one of the lawyers in his chambers.
      Senior State Advocate Mary Phikiso, who is the lawyer handling the case, could not be reached for comment.
      Police were reluctant to effect orders from the DPP to arrest and charge the three cops for almost five months.
      Soko told Daily Times in October, this year that the case was 'isolated' and was quick to 'disassociate the police service from acts potrayed by the three policemen'
      He also said the police were not taking action fast enough because the Inspector General, who was supposed to direct the Commissioner of Police for Central region to look into the matter, is a very busy man who looks at national issues concerning the security of the country'.

      Prisoners Fight for Christmas

      Daily Times (Blantyre)
      December 27, 2001
      Posted to the web December 27, 2001
      Times Reporter
      Prisoners at Zomba Maximum Security Prison assaulted cooks and threatened to bolt demanding better food for Christmas when they were served with nsima (pulp) and pigeon peas (khobwe) for lunch on Christmas eve, Daily Times has learnt.
      An inside source disclosed Tuesday that about five cooks were assaulted during the incident.
      However, Prisons Public Relations Officer Assistant Commissioner Tobias Nowa yesterday only confirmed that the prisoners were served with khobwe but they violently demanded beans.
      "Prisoners are just like that. The issue was sorted out amicably by giving them beans, and they were served with fish on Christmas Day. Every Christmas, prisoners across the country are given special food.
      Nowa denied that cooks were assaulted saying the situation was contained and that the prisoners never threatened to bolt.
      "They queried with cooks while shouting on top of their voices but the situation is normal now," Nowa said.
      An inside source told Daily Times that the prisoners assaulted cooks and threatened to fight warders to make their way out.
      "It was a serious threat which was not treated lightly, they were not armed but they were so determined to do anything. They even insulted armed warders, advancing towards them making the situation more tense," he said
      The source, however, said that officials managed to contain the situation by convincing the angry prisoners, adding they were given fresh fish on Christmas.

      Primary School Exams Out

      Daily Times (Blantyre)
      December 27, 2001
      Posted to the web December 27, 2001
      Frank Namangale
      Malawi National Examinations Board (Maneb) yesterday released results of the 2001 Primary School Leaving Certificate Examinations (PSLCE) in which 97, 842 candidates have passed representing 71.8 percent passing rate, a drop however of seven percent as compared to last year.
      Maneb Executive Director Matthews Matemba said 5,668 candidates have been disqualified out of the 136,182 candidates who sat for the examinations.
      "The disqualifications are as a result of cheating. Some of them were caught red-handed with examination materials and some were being assisted by invigilators," said Matemba, adding that some cheating was detected during marking of the papers.
      He said this year's pass rate is lower than last year's 78.4 percent.
      5,106 candidates were disqualified during last year's examinations, according to Matemba.
      The Maneb boss hailed the general public for being aggressive in controlling cheating.
      Matemba said some members of the general public provided information of cheating by some invigilators to Maneb and Police.
      "It's unfortunate that there were some candidates who were caught cheating despite the tight security," said Matemba.
      Maneb is yet to release Malawi School Certificate of Education (MSCE) and the Malawi Junior Certificate Examinations.

      Lecturers Demand for Meeting With Police

      Daily Times (Blantyre)
      December 20, 2001
      Posted to the web December 21, 2001
      Mabvuto Banda
      THE Chancellor College Academic Staff Union (CCASU) has asked for an urgent investigation into the killing of a student in Zomba, demanded for an urgent meeting with police to halt the tensions condemning students who acted violently during the clashes with police.
      Fanikiso Phiri died in hospital after he was shot together with another by armed police Friday following a confrontation between students and members of parliament attending training at Chancellor College campus.
      Dr Nadine Patel secretary general for the union yesterday told Daily Times that dialogue is essential and that the real issue has not been covered on how the whole fight started and that's what the lecturers are attempting to address.
      Asked if that will work because police are already preparing to go to court with the 19 students arrested over the weekend, Patel said the court issue is only temporarily, "but dialogue is the only long term alternative to the problem."
      Reports indicate that students joined in the demonstration by Zomba residents against the arbitrary arrests and the exorbitant prices of maize before intimidating the MPs at their campus.
      In a press release signed by Patel the lecturers at the Zomba campus are asking for a meeting to be convened to discuss rules governing public demonstrations.
      "An urgent meeting involving representatives of students, academic and administrative staff, the college administration, the police and district commissioner to discuss...principles and protocol for police intervention into potential and actual public disorder," Patel said.
      The Union, acting after the college administration decided to close the University indefinitely to restore calm in the constituent colleges, also condemned the excessive use of force by police.
      "The use of live ammunition by police in the circumstances could in no way be justified. CCASU also condemns those students who perpetrated acts of violence and intimidation during those clashes," the press release said.
      Phiri was shot in the neck and Lovemore Luhanga was escaped death when a bullet missed his spine which could have been fatal.
      Students in both Zomba and Blantyre went on rampage when news of the death of their colleague spread.
      In Zomba police houses, offices and cars were stoned while in Blantyre the students demostrated nearly colliding with police again.

      International Commission of Jurists Probes Blantyre

      Daily Times (Blantyre)
      December 21, 2001
      Posted to the web December 21, 2001
      Mabvuto Banda
      The Geneva based International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) is in the country on a fact finding mission for possible interventions to stop the harrasment of judges and assess the rule of law which has sparked unrest in the country since parliament recommended the removal of three high court judges last month.
      ICJ Legal Adviser Linda Besharaty-Movaed said in an exclusive interview on Wednesday the mission team comprising Commissioner Dr Rajeer Dhavan and South African Constitutional Judge Justice Johann Kriegler are in the country to follow up the protest letter they wrote last month to President Bakili Muluzi concerning the treatment of judges and acess the situation.
      "The action to dismiss the judges flies in the face of the 1994 Constitution of Malawi, the African Charter on Human and People's Rights and the United Nations basic principles on the independence of the judiciary which recongnise the value of an independent judiciary as necessary to uphold the rule of law," Besharaty-Movaed said.
      The Constitution requires that the President consult with the Judicial Service Commission for the removal of a judge on the grounds of incompetence or misbehaviour.
      The more than 50 year old international NGO for the protection of the rule of law, has already met a cross section of civil society and the diplomatic community the two days it has been around.
      "We have met a cross section of people to get views among them the donor community who are very concerned with the situation," Commissioner Dhavan said.
      The jurists protested the removal of three Judges by Parliament last month in writing to the president expressing grave concern about Parliament's recommendation to remove Justices George Chimasula Phiri, Dunstain Mwaungulu and Ancaclet Chipeta for alleged misconduct.
      "Removing judges for their unfavourable rulings and on unfounded charges of misconduct leads down a slippery slope to further erosion of human rights and the rule of law thats why we are here," the ICJ spokesperson said.
      Justice Mwaugulu is accused of misconduct because of his opinions on the internet about the election case while Chipeta and Chimasula Phiri are accused of favouring opposition in their rulings.
      President Muluzi has since acquitted one judge and handed over the other two to the Judicial Service Commission which adjourned hearing to January next year.
      The two university towns of Blantyre and Zomba dissolved into chaos immediately ruling party MPs moved a motion to impeach the judges. Law students together with the some members of Malawi Law Society members clashed with police after parliament ignored a court ruling stopping the House from going ahead with the recommendation.
      The latest clashes left one student dead and another seroulsy injured after police used live ammunition to quell the protest.

      BJ, Chupa Face Murder Charges

      Daily Times (Blantyre)
      December 20, 2001
      Posted to the web December 21, 2001
      McDonald Chapalapata
      NATIONAL Democratic Alliance (NDA) leader Brown Mpinganjira and his right hand man Peter Chupa have been summoned to appear before the Ombudsman Enock Chibwana to answer on the killing of one Charles Waya in 1998 when the two were cabinet ministers in the ruling party.
      The inquiry comes after Elizabeth Waya, sister to the late Charles told a public inquiry instituted by the Ombudsman last week in Blantyre that a friend to her late brother said that Waya was murdered by seven boys at Sunnyside in Blantyre on instructions from Mpinganjira and Chupa.
      "Kennedy Kango who was working at Sanjika Palace as a bodyguard told me that he was present when Waya was killed. My brother was stabbed on the chest and beaten severly until he died," said Elizabeth.
      She said Kango saw five boys carrying a dead body and put it on the back seat of Mpinganjira's car and dumped it at Manyowe in Blantyre where it is believed to have been buried.
      Mpinganjira and Chupa were powerful cabinet ministers in the UDF government then.
      Elizabeth said Kango revealed that Waya might have been killed because he divulged a secret about the burnt car belonging to the Malawi Congress Party (MCP) in Chiradzulu in 1997.
      "I was also told that before my brother died, Honourable Chupa told him (Waya) to coax an MCP member of parliament in Nsanje to join the UDF and that if the move was successful, he was going to be paid K500,000," said Elizabeth.
      She said Kango told her that Waya, who is believed to have been working for Mpinganjira and Chupa, was pushing for his payment and that is why he was killed.
      Elizabeth also told the inquiry how Waya missed.
      "A red car came to our village and a young man who I don't know by name asked where my brother was and I told him he was at Tayali village where he was married and he went there to fetch him. We never saw him ever since," narrated a visibly confused Elizabeth.
      She said the following day, Waya's wife told her that her husband went away with a young man in a red car and he has not returned since. That was the time Elizabeth started looking for him.
      "It was rumoured that he was jailed and was at Chichiri Prison but when I went there I was told that he was not there. I even cross checked with Impetu Driving School where he was working and they confirmed to me that he was at large," said Elizabeth.
      She went to complain at Bvumbwe Police where she was referred to Southern Region Police Headquarters at Chichiri in Blantyre where she met a Mr Kachiwanda.
      Kachiwanda is said to have called her at Bvumbwe police to record a statement and she kept frequenting Bvumbwe police for an update on the whereabouts of Waya but to no avail.
      She said on November 7, 1998, a journalist asked for Waya's photograph and an article on waya's death appeared in the Malawi News edition of November 14, 1998.
      Elizabeth was told by a Police Officer Rice Mafosha that Waya was alive only that he was out of the country and she insisted that she should go whereever her brother was to believe that he was alive.
      But the authorities could not allow her to travel to the country where Waya was believed to be residing until the then Director of Public prosecution (DPP) Kamudoni Nyasulu confirmed to her that Waya was killed.
      She contacted Civil Liberties Committee (Cilic) who advised her to contact Bvumbwe Police Station again where another statement was recorded.
      Elizabeth also said a Criminal Investigations Department (CID) Officer Kalua went to Bvumbwe Police where he recorded her another statement in February this year.
      "I want to know the truth about what happened to my brother because I have suffered for quite a long time," said Elizabeth.
      Chibwana adjourned the inquiry to February 1, 2002 where Mpinganjira, Chupa, Kango and others are expected to testify.
      Ironically, on the same day Mpinganjira will also be testifying in another matter before the Ombudsman where a niece to the former Official Hostess Cecilia Tamanda Kadzamira, Beatrice is complaining that she was fired from Polytechnic as a Lecturer on instructions from Presidential Affairs Minister Dumbo Lemani.
      Mpinganjira was Minister of Education then and is said to have fired Kadzamira on instructions from Lemani.