RE: [ujeni] Fwd: Malawi Info

  • holland@panasas.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
      Hello Adrienne

      I was a PCV/Malawi from '95 to '97. Living conditions varied widely amongst the volunteers in my group. Pulling some numbers completely off the top of my head (I could be way wrong here), I'd say about 20% of us lived in some semi-urban environment and had some combination of electricity and/or water for some fraction of the day. Perhaps 50% of us lived in more rural environments, without facilities, typically about an hour by minibus from the nearest population center. The remaing 30% lived in very rural environments, quite some distance from any "city" (John Patten, any comments on this? :-). I knew only a few people who actually lived in mud-walled thatch-roofed dwellings. Again I could be wrong, but most people I knew had brick houses with tin roofs, often extremely tiny and without any facilities. At the time I was leaving Malawi (middle of '99), PC seemed to be moving toward placing more volunteers is more settings, so I'd guess that the proportion of people living in mud/thatch/village/remote conditions has gone up somewhat.

      I found it very difficult to adjust to being there but in retrospect it was a wonderful life and I miss it greatly as I sit here at my boring computer, working away on a national holiday, in standard American fashion. Have a wonderful two years.

      The best bit of advice anyone ever gave me: the low points are REALLY LOW, and the high points are very high. Low points along the road aren't the end of the world. Recognize them and don't let it get to you.

      Mark Holland

    • Stacia & Kristof Nordin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002

        Just to add to what Mark wrote...first Adrienne, Welcome to Malawi soon!  I was a PCV here from 97-00 and am still here working part time with PC on the Crisis Corps HIV/AIDS program along with a number of other projects with the Malawian government.  You are coming in the environmental group, and your group tends to get put into the typical mud hut, thatched roof, no electricity, and water carried from a nearby well situation.  I'm speaking very generally, of course.  The other two PC sectors, health and education, live more in the situations that Mark was describing.  Each of the sectors live near their place of work, which in part tells what type of living situation you will have.  PCVs live alone, I don't know anyone who lives in someone else's house.  They may have a house which is part of someone else's yard or compound, or a small cluster of homes, but your space is your space, again don't take anything that I say (or any of us for that matter!) to be absolute, who knows what your situation will be!  For food there are small outdoor markets usually within biking distance that will provide a few basics...hard to describe how basic it may be, but you'll get used to tomatoes, onions and greens over and over again.  A lot of volunteers are able to produce at least part of their nutrient needs from around their homes after a few months, which has been part of what my husband and I teach, so we'll fill your ear with this more when you get here!

        Hope this sheds some light.  See you when you get here!
        Stacia

        Stacia Nordin, RD
        HIV/AIDS Crisis Corps Coordinator
        P.O. Box 208, Lilongwe, Malawi, Africa
        Work Phones:   (+265)  757-157 or 757-667
        Work Fax:         (+265)  751-008
        Cell Phone:        (+265) 960-613
        Home Phone:    (+265)  707-213