Re: only in Africa!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2001
      This is a real article from bbc.com today. Only on my favorite continent
      would they need pee inspectors!

      The city council at Swaziland's eastern town of Siteki, has set up a posse
      of "pee inspectors" to roam the streets and fine anyone found urinating in
      public.

      The initiative, unveiled during the Christmas season when drunkards roam the
      streets has outraged residents.

      Pedestrians said that although public toilets are cheap to use, they are
      usually too filthy to use. The town council has appointed 10 roaming public
      health inspectors to impose on-the-spot fines and anyone who cannot or will
      not pay, is charged with public indecency causing malicious damage to
      property.

      Cost to business Siteki town clerk, Thulane Mkhaliphi, says the "pee
      inspectors" are meant to make the streets safe for what he described as
      "decent folk" and rid Siteki of the lavatorial stench that hangs over many
      Swazi town centres. At the government's office complex in the town, the
      toilets are just as dirty as those in the market place, which also serves as
      a bus rank.

      But Mr Mkhaliphi insists: "We've built scores of public toilets, but men
      still insist on just whipping it out and urinating on our pavements - even
      in the centre of town. The place is beginning to smell like a urinal, and
      it's costing us business."
      "It's so bad at weekends and at the end of the month when all these
      layabouts blow their money at taverns that decent folk don't come to town at
      all," he added.

      Clocking up
      Dumisane Dlamini, one of the new "pee inspectors", dismissed complaints
      about the peeing ban as "sour grapes" and described the initiative as a
      "breath of fresh air". "I'm having great fun", he said. "I catch about 30
      people a day on average and sometimes double that at weekends or payday.
      That's a fair amount of money for the council."

      The new health inspectors are also authorised to fine pedestrians for
      jay-walking and hitch-hiking in the city centre or breaking any other
      by-laws. The town clerk has promised that the toilet crisis would be solved
      as soon as there is sufficient water in the town.

      'Sangomas'
      Currently the town gets water from a river about 230km away at Simunye, a
      sugarcane-growing plantation company utilising the Black Umbuluzi River that
      links Swaziland and Mozambique.
      The Siteki initiative follows a similar one in the capital, Mbabane, where
      city fathers recently threatened to hire "sangomas" or witchdoctors to
      bewitch human faeces - a common sight on the city's pavements.
      The authorities there have warned that the sangoma's spells would cause the
      culprits' backsides to swell so police and neighbours could identify them.
      Using "muti" or magic charms is strongly believed in Swaziland to act as a
      check on anti-social behaviour.