UN Wire Article - Discount Drugs Proving Effective In Africa, Experts Say

  • weber@elite.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2001
      Hello,

      weber@... was at the UN Wire web site today and thought the article,
      Discount Drugs Proving Effective In Africa, Experts Say, would be of
      interest to you.

      Hopeful about AIDS meds if money in fact can be available.

      ARTICLE SUMMARY:
      Scientists said yesterday at the 12th International Conference on AIDS and
      Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Africa in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, that
      discounted HIV drugs have been effective at combating the HIV/AIDS
      pandemic in Africa, although there were originally concerns that such
      medicines would be improperly administered and lead to drug-resistant
      strains of HIV.

      You can see the complete version of this story at:
      http://www.unfoundation.org/unwire/util/display_stories.asp?objid=22546

      Thank you,
      UN Wire

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2001
          Just goes to show that we are continually being ripped off by the drug
          companies....I understand the circular argument about R&D and such, but if a
          generic can copy it (okay, they didn't do all the research they just took
          the formula), but for the first ten-fifteen years that they have the
          exclusive patent gives them the opportunity to reap enough prfits...Claritn
          does not cost $2 per pill to manufacture...