A PCV thanksgiving (sort of...a little license taken)

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2001
      This was close to a Thanksgiving meal for some Peace Corps Volunteers.

      Some names have been changed to protect the guilty...There are only one or
      two hilarious parts, but it gives you an idea of Peace Corps life...

      November 25, 1987: Then went searching for a duck for Thanksgiving, and
      found them. Only in Mauritania. I wanted to buy this duckfrom these people,
      and the whole family was chasing it, the grandfather, two women and a couple
      of kids. I wish I had a camera. It was really fun to watch them running in
      all directions trying to catch the duck.

      Then made a cake with rice flour. Fruit surprise.

      Kavi and I came by after class to clean up the peanuts. We talked til 12AM
      about love, PC, life before and after. Listened to Simon and Garfunkel, Phil
      Collins and Prince. Crashed at the maison.

      November 26 (Day of the Duck): : Gave a test to 6C: indirect discourse,
      conditional. I came home and wrote a letter to the Watsons and Romy Shahidi,
      an Iranian friend from school. Read a Perry Mason novel and played in the
      garden. Got cantaloupe, watermelon, and lettuce starting to come up. I
      washed clothes. After class, I went to the maison, came home made biftek/
      onions/ potatoes. Drank 1.5 I of milk. I saw Touensie and we invited him to
      eat with us. Our menu was stuffed duck, vegetable salad, scalloped potatoes
      and yogurt cake with chocolate icing.

      We got the place cleaned up then played some cribbage. We also played some
      chess. I won them both. Kavi swept the porch, and watered the garden. Daouda
      came by with the Peace Corps Director's brother in law, Marshall. Daouda,
      Kavi and I played cards while Marshall and John worked on the duck.

      Daouda and I killed it so we didn't have to clean it. Actually the duck died
      a horrible death.

      I remember Mom telling us kids about how she killed ducks during the WWII.
      She would ring their necks. She also told us about the time she kept ringing
      and ringing then it slipped from her hands and she had to go find it.

      So, I tried to wring its neck. Not easy. After a couple of minutes, I held
      the duck by the head, and Dave held it by its feet. We pulled and pulled to
      no avail. We ended up cutting its throat. Unfortunately our knives were not
      that sharp, so I think we ended up going to the market to buy a razor blade.

      We started to remove the feathers, then Yahya gutted and stuffed it. Before
      the duck was cooked, Yahya made a cake. Touensie came by and chatted. He
      borrowed a few tapes.

      He had to leave before we ate. His father is sick and he lives 7 K away. We
      ate around 8:30 and finished at 9PM. Daouda left for a tamtam (evening
      dance)and we later split to the maison to crash.