RE: [ujeni] Good News (for me)

  • Mark Holland
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2001
      > years. Once I was watching "Shogun" on tv, a novel written by James
      > Michener detailing feudal life in Japan. It was at that time I decided
      that
      > I wanted to work overseas. I did this already with Peace Corps, but I
      will
      > now be able to do it for a longer term.

      Great news, Paul, and congrats. At the risk of being a complete and total
      flaming jerk, I can't resist the urge to say that this book and movie must
      have made a huge and lasting impact on your life, given how familiar you are
      with it and the author!

      Mark
    • Vyrle Owens
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 13, 2001

        Dear Paul,

        Congratulations and congratulations again. It is indeed good news to hear
        you are one step closer to the career of your dreams and ambitions. Hang
        in there, we look forward to hearing about your first overseas assignment
        as a foreign service officer.

        Greetings to Gigi,

        Vyrle and Dolly

        ----------
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
          Truth be told, I really wanted the job of that woman who interpretaed for
          Anjin-san and the Shogun...But I saw the courseload at Ga State U, and
          decided that I just wanted to travel at someone else's expense...

          My years at a boardig school reinforced my interest, and Peace Corps
          confirmed it...The happiest time of my life has been spent overseas...there
          are other episodes of good times, and each is compartmentalized somewhere,
          but overall the best years of my as yet unfinished life were in
          Mauritania....probably due to my maturity level raising, my sense of
          adventure being piqued, doing things so stupid, but knowing I had great
          medical coverage (???) to back me up, and of course my wedding...

          > years. Once I was watching "Shogun" on tv, a novel written by James
          > Michener detailing feudal life in Japan. It was at that time I decided
          that
          > I wanted to work overseas. I did this already with Peace Corps, but I
          will
          > now be able to do it for a longer term.

          Great news, Paul, and congrats. At the risk of being a complete and total
          flaming jerk, I can't resist the urge to say that this book and movie must
          have made a huge and lasting impact on your life, given how familiar you are
          with it and the author!

          Mark

        • Bell, Elizabeth
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
            Paul, that is just tremendous. I know how competitive it is to get into the
            FS. Many congratulations and ululations....

            Travel safely,
            Madame Eliza

            P.S. And didn't anyone else read "The Wanderers" or "The Covenent"? That's
            how I ended up in Southern Africa and On the Road....

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
              Zikomo kwambiri achimwali