RE: [ujeni] Good News (for me)

  • Mark Holland
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2001
      > years. Once I was watching "Shogun" on tv, a novel written by James
      > Michener detailing feudal life in Japan. It was at that time I decided
      that
      > I wanted to work overseas. I did this already with Peace Corps, but I
      will
      > now be able to do it for a longer term.

      Great news, Paul, and congrats. At the risk of being a complete and total
      flaming jerk, I can't resist the urge to say that this book and movie must
      have made a huge and lasting impact on your life, given how familiar you are
      with it and the author!

      Mark
    • Vyrle Owens
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 13, 2001

        Dear Paul,

        Congratulations and congratulations again. It is indeed good news to hear
        you are one step closer to the career of your dreams and ambitions. Hang
        in there, we look forward to hearing about your first overseas assignment
        as a foreign service officer.

        Greetings to Gigi,

        Vyrle and Dolly

        ----------
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
          Ladies and Gentlemen...

          It is now official...I will be working for the Department of State in
          January. Leaving AmeriCorps is a decision I did not make lightly. I enjoy
          working ther and can appreciate the work each of you have done and still do
          from a perspective not many can see.

          I received and accepted an appointment as a Foreign Service Officer for the
          Department of State. I begin training and will serve after about 6-9 months
          of training.

          This work will let me travel across the world, and represent the US
          Government. It is a career that I have looked for and tried to get for many
          years. Once I was watching "Shogun" on tv, a novel written by James
          Michener detailing feudal life in Japan. It was at that time I decided that
          I wanted to work overseas. I did this already with Peace Corps, but I will
          now be able to do it for a longer term.

          Best wishes for everyone, an my email account will stay active, so don't
          forget to write.

          Thanks.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
            Truth be told, I really wanted the job of that woman who interpretaed for
            Anjin-san and the Shogun...But I saw the courseload at Ga State U, and
            decided that I just wanted to travel at someone else's expense...

            My years at a boardig school reinforced my interest, and Peace Corps
            confirmed it...The happiest time of my life has been spent overseas...there
            are other episodes of good times, and each is compartmentalized somewhere,
            but overall the best years of my as yet unfinished life were in
            Mauritania....probably due to my maturity level raising, my sense of
            adventure being piqued, doing things so stupid, but knowing I had great
            medical coverage (???) to back me up, and of course my wedding...

            > years. Once I was watching "Shogun" on tv, a novel written by James
            > Michener detailing feudal life in Japan. It was at that time I decided
            that
            > I wanted to work overseas. I did this already with Peace Corps, but I
            will
            > now be able to do it for a longer term.

            Great news, Paul, and congrats. At the risk of being a complete and total
            flaming jerk, I can't resist the urge to say that this book and movie must
            have made a huge and lasting impact on your life, given how familiar you are
            with it and the author!

            Mark

          • Bell, Elizabeth
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
              Paul, that is just tremendous. I know how competitive it is to get into the
              FS. Many congratulations and ululations....

              Travel safely,
              Madame Eliza

              P.S. And didn't anyone else read "The Wanderers" or "The Covenent"? That's
              how I ended up in Southern Africa and On the Road....

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
                Zikomo kwambiri achimwali