Re: [ujeni] news update

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2001
      Judge reprieves Malawi
      MPs

      I guess they don't have separation of powers and the system of checks and
      balances...

      If our Congress had censured, then banished a member of congress, Not even
      the Supreme Court could get him/her back...

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2001
        According to my sources, the bit about USAID's funding is not exactly the whole story, as you might expect.

        Malawi donors suspend
        aid

        President Muluzi is planning to travel to Europe to
        discuss the suspensions
        By Raphael Tenthani in Blantyre

        At least four of Malawi's major donors have
        suspended aid to the impoverished southern
        African state citing widespread corruption and
        economic mismanagement.

        The news emerged in a
        leaked confidential
        memorandum from
        Malawi's Finance
        Minister Mathews
        Chikaonda to President
        Bakili Muluzi.

        He says in the letter,
        that I have seen a
        copy of, that both the
        European Union and
        the United States have
        suspended
        development aid.

        It says the EU has not only suspended the
        release of 15m Euros ($13m) but has also
        demanded a refund of seven million Euros
        already disbursed.

        Anomalies

        The EU delegation discovered anomalies while
        carrying out an audit, discovering that funds
        had been used for projects outside any
        bilateral agreement.

        The delegation's economic advisor, Theo
        Kaspers, said the EU had written a fresh
        memorandum of understanding with conditions
        which had to be signed.

        The United States government, through the US
        Agency for International Development (USAID),
        has also diverted at least $6m of the $7m
        meant for Malawi to another country.

        It said the move came in response to the
        Malawi Government's decision to suspend its
        privatisation programme.

        Other donors, notably Britain, have also put on
        hold development aid to Malawi because of
        corruption, mismanagement and political
        violence.

        Denmark, whose envoy Orla Bakdal was forced
        to leave after the Danish embassy questioned
        how its money was being used, has also scaled
        down sponsored projects in Malawi.

        Bad timing

        The suspensions could not come at a worse
        time for Malawi.

        The government needs
        to imports thousands
        of tonnes of maize to
        offset the worsening
        food crisis.

        Mr Chikaonda has
        recommended that the
        cabinet be informed on
        the developments to
        discuss other ways of
        raising money.

        He has also suggested
        that President Muluzi
        and himself travel to Brussels to discuss
        developments with the EU.

        Meanwhile, the practical effects of the aid
        suspensions are already being felt.

        New salaries for teachers, the police and
        medical workers - which President Muluzi
        promised last June - have yet to materialise,
        already fuelling sporadic strike actions.
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2006
          Zambian president suffers stroke

          Zambian President Levy Mwanawasa has suffered a minor stroke, state radio has reported. A spokesman said he was making steady progress.
          The president was admitted to hospital in London for a check-up two weeks ago.

          Mr Mwanawasa, 57, has been in office since 2001, and has said he intends to contest elections later this year for a second and final term.

          The radio report did not make clear how long ago President Mwanawasa had suffered the stroke.

          "Chief Government Spokesman Vernon Mwaanga revealed that President Mwanawasa suffered a minor stroke," Zambian National Broadcasting Corporation radio reported.

          "Mr Mwaanga however, said the president was making steady progress," ZNBC said.

          Mr Mwanawasa cancelled an election campaign trip and flew to London to see doctors after feeling ill on 1 April, officials said.

          But a government spokesman said Mr Mwanawasa had gone to London for a routine check-up to ensure his fitness ahead of the election campaign.