Africans

  • Matthew McNulty
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2001
      I work at an ER in Level One Trauma Center/ County
      Hospital in Seattle. Quick story since I type Oh so
      slowly, am very verbose, and I am at work at this
      moment (and personal email is frowned upon).
      I was walking through an overcrowded hallway full of
      "medically sick" patients. Literally, we have 15
      stretchers lining the hallways between rooms. Crazy
      to be sure. Anyway, walking through the maze and
      cacophony I here someone saying "mimba." It didn't
      click that I knew what that word or something very
      close to it ment. In my next round through that
      section of the ER I read the chart about a man from
      Africa C/O Abdo pain. No one knew what language he
      was speaking so an interpreter could not be ordered.
      I went up an said hello and he did not say anything.
      I asked him what was wrong, all of this in English.
      Not a word. As I was walking away he said "Pepani."
      That word I know and recognize. So I went into my
      wrote Chitumbuka and found out that he was actually
      from Zimbabwe and spoke Shone, but knew a touch of
      Tumbuka (like me). Romweber, Bone, Westra, and
      Shockley would be proud of me. I was able to figure
      out where he hurt for how long, when he last went to
      the chimbudzi. I impressed the hell out of my
      co-workers, my attending and my boss. Finally an
      interpreter showed up and I could go back to my
      mundane world of CPR and phlebotomy. As the guy was
      leaving, I said to him "Lutani macola." His response
      to me was, "goodbye," in near perfect English.
      Hmmmmmmmmm
      Later friends,
      Matt McNulty

      =====
      All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like
      me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing
      you with beer.

      --Homer Simpson

      http://personals.yahoo.com