Re: [ujeni] Pouncing on Africans on the bus...Me Too

  • christine manchester
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 2001
      Tana has started quite a rampage....this is great. I
      feel compelled to tell my bus story... By the way, I
      was a RPCV 96-98 in Mzimba...and I miss my former
      Malawian neighbors so much (one of them is wearing my
      Tevas, 15 Kwacha). Tana, I can't believe its been 4
      years.....

      Anyway, about 2 years ago in nursing school
      (Baltimore, MD), I was riding the shuttle from school
      to home. A whole group of us nursing students loaded
      onto the bus, we sat in the back. Enter two African
      women and a man; I knew within minutes they were
      African (mannerisms, clothing, etc), without them even
      speaking. I was so excited, I switched seats to get
      closer to them. My friends were wondering what I was
      doing. How rude of me to eavesdrop on thier
      conversation but thats exactly what I did and soon I
      discovered they were speaking Chichewa!! So I decided
      to interject when I could hear a pause in the
      conversation. I said "muli bwanji?" and they just
      about dropped thier jaws. It turned out that both the
      man and one of the women were from Lilongwe (one from
      Mchingi, I think). The other woman was from Mzuzu.
      They were there for a WHO conference at the Johns
      Hopkins School of Public health; all of them working
      for the Ministry of Health (good use of the Malawian
      government's money :( ). Being from Mzimba, I was
      able to speak my broken, now much forgotten Chitimbuka
      with the woman from Mzuzu. They all laughed
      hysterically when I said my name is "Nya Jere." We
      carried on for an hour and then went for dinner
      afterwards at Rocky's Pub. The experience was
      surreal; like both worlds were mixed. The bus bumping
      along the way and us jamboring awat in Chitimbuka and
      eating chicken fingers and french fries at the local
      pub. They knew many of the same people I did from the
      MOH, NGOs and from Mzimba Hospital. Unfortanely, we
      were to be pen friends via cyberspace; I had the email
      address of the man, Storn Kamanga but it didn't work
      and I didn't get their addresses.

      So, I can definitely relate to everyone's experiences;
      I'm glad I'm not the only one with an embarrasing
      obsession. One last not, during my studies at Johns
      Hopkins School of Public Health I've met many more
      Africans since then but no Malawians; I am on the
      prowl, every African from sub-saharan I meet, I ask if
      they know any Malawians....

      http://personals.yahoo.com