Re: [ujeni] No-current events question

  • varsha ghosh
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27, 2001

      probably

      ----Original Message Follows----
      From: "Paul DEVER"
      To: kallen@..., spbelcher@..., berrys@..., BBlue@..., bethblue99@..., jbopp@..., aajbotts@..., SBouvero@..., pbrice@..., annekchapman@..., slcole@..., alexcore75@..., anne_cullen@..., megandoherty@..., john_durgavich@..., amandagray100@..., ujeni@yahoogroups.com, dml@..., lintona@..., maryellen.maher@..., krisolson10@..., jsrinbf@..., jrouth@..., sharkeyjj6@..., blythe_s@..., singh777@..., timtoppingk@..., jadewu@..., zimmerman_heidi@...
      Subject: [ujeni] No-current events question
      Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:44:44
      I have a question for y'all:
      If you are in a room with people and all the chairs are taken, and you spy
      an empty wheelchair (which belongs to no one), is ti okay to sit in the
      chair and use it as a chair, or is it disrespectful to wheelchair-bound
      people all around the world?
      Thanks for the reply, and ...yes, I am serious.
      Thanks again
    • John Patten
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 2001
        personally I would feel no disrespect if I had my own
        wheelchair already. I would want to be inclusive of
        you walkabout types. Although if you took it a step
        further and used it like George Costanza to get the
        better office and bathroom, well then you've crossed
        an ethical line.

        PS to Paul: Fined a whole cow? Unenlightened frat
        guys howl at the cost surf and turf. (I'm kidding
        before you howl at me).

        PPS: You did this, didn't you?

        http://phone.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 27, 2001
            Yes, I did....

            I was in a room of people, and the only chair available was an empty,
            unused, unowned wheelchair. I chose to sit in it.

            Then someone else clamored over and gave me hell for sitting in it, and said
            I was being disrespectful of those who need them. When I reminded her that
            I was using the 'chair' part of the wheelchair, and I was not attempting to
            do a 'Costanza'. She still got upset, and at the first moment, once I got
            up, she wheeled it out of the room and into her office...

            --- Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...> wrote:
            > I have a question for y'all:
            >
            > If you are in a room with people and all the chairs
            > are taken, and you spy
            > an empty wheelchair (which belongs to no one), is ti
            > okay to sit in the
            > chair and use it as a chair, or is it disrespectful
            > to wheelchair-bound
            > people all around the world?
            >
            > Thanks for the reply, and ...yes, I am serious.
            >
            > Thanks again

          • Don Weber
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
              Hi Paul...Sorry this answer is delayed. We just got
              home from our month away. Our computer immediately
              developed a problem, as well as the element going out
              in our oven, the dryer doesn't dry our clothes and
              while we were gone a beaver ate an apple tree and a
              half and one small peach tree. The computer's fixed
              but there's no fixing the trees! Some malevolent
              spirit was paying us back for being gone.

              The woman who reacted to your wheelchair sitting is the
              one with a problem. She is hypersensative ...anyone
              who had a disability would probably be uncomfortable
              around her thinking that she was just too aware. I
              have sat in wheelchairs, I have tootled around in them
              and sometimes in front of people who use them. I had a
              friend who tried to drive an electric one and crashed
              into the glass in a bookcase. The owner thought it was
              hysterical. Don't let this woman intimidate you. Cathy

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
                Thanks. I polled severl list serves I belong to (to get a varied audience:
                old, young, senile, ex-parole officers, etc.), and they are all in
                agreement.

                I like the 2 x 4 rule, but I cannot apply it here...

                So tell all how was China? Did you foreign devils get treated nicely? what
                was the coverage about the terrorist acts? etc.