NYC

  • Bell, Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2001
      i lied, one more.

      Tuesday Night
      Dear Friends and Relatives,
      We are safe and are grateful for your concern. This morning Brit and Wm

      both went to their offices in mid town as usual and then walked home when
      their offices were closed in mid morning. (Brit to our Brooklyn house and Wm

      to his upper, upper West Side apt.) We have tried to return your calls,
      but
      all telephone circuits out of NYC are overloaded and we can't call out.
      Except for the roiling black smoke column in the air, this was a
      beautiful fall day in Brooklyn. The air smells acrid and is a constant
      reminder that many of our neighbors have lost loved ones. Churches are
      open.
      Schools are closed. Burnt paper is falling in our neighborhood; a friend
      found a partly burned loan application from the WTC on her deck. We are all

      partly in a state of shock.
      When Brit was walking across the Manhattan Bridge, he spoke with a man
      who had escaped from the 50th floor of the WTC. It took the man 2 hours to
      gather the courage to walk across the bridge because he feared that the
      bridge could also be a target. The man told Brit that as he was coming down

      the stairs firemen were going up; some of these firemen were probably
      killed
      when the building collapsed.
      Two of our friends escaped from the WTC buildings minutes before they
      collapsed. We are worried about another friend; he worked on the 100th
      floor of the second building to be hit and he spoke on the phone with his
      wife after the first building was hit and she hasn't heard from him since.
      All day long as I went about teaching, after I had spoken to Wm and
      before I could reach Brit, I thought about how well NYC was dealing with
      this
      attack -- which is really an act of war. Even though all transportation in
      Manhattan was halted (no subways, no busses, no automobiles), the phones
      within the city worked. Email worked. Radios worked. One regular TV
      station
      and the cable TV stations worked. (The TV stations that broadcast from the
      WTC stopped working.) All electricity and water and gas utilities worked.

      The hospitals and fire departments and police departments functioned. I am
      so concious that when attacks like this happen in other countries that are
      less developed, people are in much worse shape. I didn't absolutely know
      about Brit's safety until 3:00 (I really thought that he was safe because he

      wasn't supposed to be anywere near the WTC), but I can't imagine how auful
      it
      must be for people who don't know about the safety of their loved ones.
      Good night and stay safe.
      Love,
      Mary Sue