FW: My experience at Bellevue yesterday

  • Bell, Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2001
      Last one for a while...I promise. eb

      -

      As some of you may or may not know, I am a BU 4th year student doing a
      year of research in the Dept of Plastic Surgery at NYU. As you can
      imagine yesterday was truly surreal. From the top of the hospital, I saw
      the explosion as the second plane crashed into the south tower. It was
      really like something out of the movies. After the initial shock wore off
      we ran down to the ED as we expected to be inundated with burn patients.
      About 25 minutes after we saw the second explosion, the longest of my life
      it seemed, the first wave of patients came in. I don't know if everyone
      has seen the Matrix, but these people had 30-60% of their bodies
      covered with third degree burns from the blasts traveling down the
      elevator shafts and shooting into the lobby. It was while we took care of
      the first wave of patients that we heard of the collapses. After that
      time it was painfully quiet in the ED. There were about 300 docs standing
      around just waiting to help patients who never came.
      Today I'm heading down to the site with a surgery team to see if
      we can help in any way. Being at ground zero so to speak, I can only urge
      all of you to unite and continue on with life. It's normal to be afraid,
      believe me I was, but we've got to get past this and get on with life. If
      we don't then the people who have done this terrible act will have
      succeeded in a much greater way. Take care.

      Chris Derderian