RE: Re: [ujeni] Today's events

  • Yewo
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001

      Hi everyone,

      Just off the top of my head, a way to contribute even if you are not in the  DC/NY area is to go to your nearest hospital or blood donation center to donate blood.  They suggest donating tomorrow as well; many hospitals are full of people donating and they will need blood later as the injured are

      >mobilized. (unless of course you had Malaria within the last 3 years ).  Call American Red Cross 1-800 HELP NOW or 1-800 GIVE LIFE or http://www.redcross.org/.  to determine your local area for blood donation, to volunteer, or for money donations.  American Red Cross on a national level is doing a tremendous job. On another note, I am in the Baltimore area but my husband works near the Pentagon and he is fine.  So good to hear that many of you are okay in this tragic and humbling time.

      The Red Cross Blood Donor Centers are at the following locations in central Maryland:

      Baltimore City
      4700 Mount Hope Drive
      Baltimore, Maryland
      410-743-8157

      Columbia
      10400 Little
      Patuxent Parkway
      Columbia, Maryland
      410-997-1288

      White Marsh
      8114 Sandpiper Cir,
      Suite 203
      White Marsh,
      Maryland
      410-933-0689

      Bel Air
      2021 Emmorton Road
      Bel Air,
      Maryland
      410-877-7609

      Take care, stay safe, Christine and Gordon West

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001
        Hi-

        I live on Upper West Side in NYC and work in NJ so I was at work when it all
        happened....I do have my fiance and several family members/friends who work
        at or next to WTC, plus extended family members who are NYC cops. All are
        safe and accounted for though some had horrendous experiences getting out of
        work/lower Manhattan.

        Thanks to everyone for all prayers and support.

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001

        • sgeibel@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001

            Mark Holland <holland@...> wrote:

            >Rumors are funny things, hey? Last I heard there would be no planes in US airspace
            >until noon at the absolute earliest. Tough to hijack planes that are sitting on
            >runways at airports scattered throughout the country.
            >
            >Mark
            >

            >susan_clasby@... wrote:
            >
            >> I'm at work in Fairfax, and from my window can see the smoke rising from the
            >> Pentagon, there are rumors of additional hijacked planes circling around the
            >> area.
            >>
            >> Sue

          • Mark Holland
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001
              Ah, dim of me not to check the time stamp before responding. Sorry about that.

              sgeibel@... wrote:

              > I think Sue's message was system-delayed, as it was time-stamped at Noon yesterday. Understandable. The hours after 9:45am yesterday were the scariest and most paranoid here in DC, because once the Pentagon was hit we had to assume that any DC building might be next. At that moment, I was very concerned about my wife and friends who work in buildings near the Mall.

            • Tana Beverwyk
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001

                Paul- curious why you believe attacking people because of their first name is 'understandable'?  Of course we are all used to the unthinking stereotyping that goes on in our everyday lives, but just because something is common does not mean it is understandable.  Calling something 'understandable' is the step before calling it acceptable.  Coming from a very person place- Tana

                >From: "Paul DEVER"
                >To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [ujeni] Today's events
                >Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 11:26:16
                >
                >Mixed emotions (no one I know/love died, but others did) are going to be
                >popping up all over.
                >
                >Other thoughts will emerge and people will start to attack mosques, Arab
                >restaurants, Afghan restaurants, Persian restaurants, anyone with the name
                >of Habib, Mohammed or Abdul will be suspect and probably rousted.
                >
                >All these actions are wrong, understandable but wrong.
                >
                >These sentiments will continue for quite a while. We are fortunate that so
                >far to our knowledge we have not lost anyone we are related to or know, but
                >there are those out there who did.
                >
                >Everyone and his brother will be called heroes, from the news reporter
                >detaling what happened on the plane as it crashed, to the peolle on the
                >PA-crashed plane who reported that they were "going to do something"
                >
                >Whatever coping mechanisms we use are correct, so long as they do not
                >translate into anger carried out, or misplaced words. Even so, these
                >actions would be understood, and reaction to them would be muted.
                >
                >GOod luck to all, and
                >
                >Please give blood

              • Tana Beverwyk
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001

                  Oh so many emotions.  So much pain.  I didn't mean to be reactionary but I don't think we should stand for or encourage (in the form of understanding) the stereotyping of any person with an Arabic name as somehow associated with this tragedy.  Think of how absurd that is!  So many Arabic countries, so many individuals, so many beliefs, so many personalities. I know that people will automatically do it because some people are simple and angry and looking for an outlet, but lets not understand it or justify it or be compassionate for it in any way.  Anger about the death of so many people is hard to deal with but injuring people who have nothing to do with the cause of your anger is absurd.  Your example of  Mauritania, Paul, is appropriate.  So many examples closer to home (see Pearl Harbor and American Japanese, for one).  I feel so much...so much.  How is everyone else?  -Tana Beverwyk-Abouda

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001

                      Dear Tana,

                      Something about your messages doesn't get them through my ISP or into my
                      computer. The last thing that came through were two pictures, but no
                      message. I assume you are alright.

                      I did get a request for an employment reference for you, but the lady did
                      not return my call. What was the result of your application?

                      Vyrle