RE: Re: [ujeni] Today's events

  • Yewo
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001

      Hi everyone,

      Just off the top of my head, a way to contribute even if you are not in the  DC/NY area is to go to your nearest hospital or blood donation center to donate blood.  They suggest donating tomorrow as well; many hospitals are full of people donating and they will need blood later as the injured are

      >mobilized. (unless of course you had Malaria within the last 3 years ).  Call American Red Cross 1-800 HELP NOW or 1-800 GIVE LIFE or http://www.redcross.org/.  to determine your local area for blood donation, to volunteer, or for money donations.  American Red Cross on a national level is doing a tremendous job. On another note, I am in the Baltimore area but my husband works near the Pentagon and he is fine.  So good to hear that many of you are okay in this tragic and humbling time.

      The Red Cross Blood Donor Centers are at the following locations in central Maryland:

      Baltimore City
      4700 Mount Hope Drive
      Baltimore, Maryland
      410-743-8157

      Columbia
      10400 Little
      Patuxent Parkway
      Columbia, Maryland
      410-997-1288

      White Marsh
      8114 Sandpiper Cir,
      Suite 203
      White Marsh,
      Maryland
      410-933-0689

      Bel Air
      2021 Emmorton Road
      Bel Air,
      Maryland
      410-877-7609

      Take care, stay safe, Christine and Gordon West

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 11, 2001
        I can tell you what's happening here in Atlanta, Deb. They've evacuated CDC
        HQ and are assembling bioterrorism response teams. We are trying to contact
        all our international field staff, but the phone lines are impossible.

        Can't reach my Dad in NYC, but he's on the upper West Side and am not overly
        concerned.

        Back to speed dialing.

        Liz

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 11, 2001
          I'm at work in Fairfax, and from my window can see the smoke rising from the
          Pentagon, there are rumors of additional hijacked planes circling around the
          area.

          Sue

          |--------+----------------------->
          | | "Bell, |
          | | Elizabeth" |
          | | <eib6@...|
          | | > |
          | | |
          | | 09/11/01 |
          | | 12:03 PM |
          | | Please |
          | | respond to |
          | | ujeni |
          | | |
          |--------+----------------------->
          | |
          | To: "'ujeni@yahoogroups.com'" <ujeni@yahoogroups.com> |
          | cc: (bcc: Susan Clasby/AMS/AMSINC) |
          | Subject: RE: [ujeni] Today's events |

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 11, 2001
            Hey Deb,

            I'll be glad to hear word from our other friends in
            the DC/NY area as well. I just had to explain to my
            9th graders the magnitude of the events...it feels so
            far removed to them. I've never been one to be very
            patriotic, but I wish I were in the military right
            now. That just ain't right.

            My prayers are with all the families who have been
            affected.

            Everyone take care,
            Kristi

            http://im.yahoo.com
          • Vyrle Owens
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 11, 2001

              Dear Paul,

              Thanks for the update. We have thought of you and Gigi today and tried to
              call, obviously without success. Good thing this internet is working at
              the moment.

              Something happened between my ISP and my computer this morning and I lost
              about 20 messages. Probably coincidence.

              Greetings to all there,

              Vyrle

              ----------

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 11, 2001

                  Dear Krisiti, et al,

                  These things to bring out some highly undesirable feelings.

                  My son-in-law worked on the 59th floor of the late World Trade Center (the
                  second tower to collapse). Fortunately he got a late start for work this
                  morning and had not left his apartment (mid-town) on time. The last he
                  heard, about noon, all of the people in his law firm were evacuated or were
                  also late for work. So far so good. My daughter also had a late start
                  this morning, being fully pregnant she just doesn't move as quickly. Both
                  are camped out in their apartment with sufficient groceries for the time
                  being.

                  I don't know what I would be doing, thinking, or feeling if I weren't so
                  fortunate. But I mourn for those who lost loved ones, and am angry about
                  my feeling of helplessness.

                  Thanks to everyone who have reported they are alright. Hope to here more
                  as the hours pass.

                  Stay well,

                  Vyrle

                  ----------
                  > From: Kristi Henderson <njinga_k@...>
                  > To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
                • Maher, Mary Ellen (MTO)
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001
                    Hi-

                    I live on Upper West Side in NYC and work in NJ so I was at work when it all
                    happened....I do have my fiance and several family members/friends who work
                    at or next to WTC, plus extended family members who are NYC cops. All are
                    safe and accounted for though some had horrendous experiences getting out of
                    work/lower Manhattan.

                    Thanks to everyone for all prayers and support.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001

                    • sgeibel@netscape.net
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001

                        Mark Holland <holland@...> wrote:

                        >Rumors are funny things, hey? Last I heard there would be no planes in US airspace
                        >until noon at the absolute earliest. Tough to hijack planes that are sitting on
                        >runways at airports scattered throughout the country.
                        >
                        >Mark
                        >

                        >susan_clasby@... wrote:
                        >
                        >> I'm at work in Fairfax, and from my window can see the smoke rising from the
                        >> Pentagon, there are rumors of additional hijacked planes circling around the
                        >> area.
                        >>
                        >> Sue

                      • Mark Holland
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001
                          Ah, dim of me not to check the time stamp before responding. Sorry about that.

                          sgeibel@... wrote:

                          > I think Sue's message was system-delayed, as it was time-stamped at Noon yesterday. Understandable. The hours after 9:45am yesterday were the scariest and most paranoid here in DC, because once the Pentagon was hit we had to assume that any DC building might be next. At that moment, I was very concerned about my wife and friends who work in buildings near the Mall.

                        • Tana Beverwyk
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001

                            Paul- curious why you believe attacking people because of their first name is 'understandable'?  Of course we are all used to the unthinking stereotyping that goes on in our everyday lives, but just because something is common does not mean it is understandable.  Calling something 'understandable' is the step before calling it acceptable.  Coming from a very person place- Tana

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001

                                Oh so many emotions.  So much pain.  I didn't mean to be reactionary but I don't think we should stand for or encourage (in the form of understanding) the stereotyping of any person with an Arabic name as somehow associated with this tragedy.  Think of how absurd that is!  So many Arabic countries, so many individuals, so many beliefs, so many personalities. I know that people will automatically do it because some people are simple and angry and looking for an outlet, but lets not understand it or justify it or be compassionate for it in any way.  Anger about the death of so many people is hard to deal with but injuring people who have nothing to do with the cause of your anger is absurd.  Your example of  Mauritania, Paul, is appropriate.  So many examples closer to home (see Pearl Harbor and American Japanese, for one).  I feel so much...so much.  How is everyone else?  -Tana Beverwyk-Abouda

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001

                                    Dear Tana,

                                    Something about your messages doesn't get them through my ISP or into my
                                    computer. The last thing that came through were two pictures, but no
                                    message. I assume you are alright.

                                    I did get a request for an employment reference for you, but the lady did
                                    not return my call. What was the result of your application?

                                    Vyrle