RE: Re: [ujeni] Today's events

  • Yewo
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001

      Hi everyone,

      Just off the top of my head, a way to contribute even if you are not in the  DC/NY area is to go to your nearest hospital or blood donation center to donate blood.  They suggest donating tomorrow as well; many hospitals are full of people donating and they will need blood later as the injured are

      >mobilized. (unless of course you had Malaria within the last 3 years ).  Call American Red Cross 1-800 HELP NOW or 1-800 GIVE LIFE or http://www.redcross.org/.  to determine your local area for blood donation, to volunteer, or for money donations.  American Red Cross on a national level is doing a tremendous job. On another note, I am in the Baltimore area but my husband works near the Pentagon and he is fine.  So good to hear that many of you are okay in this tragic and humbling time.

      The Red Cross Blood Donor Centers are at the following locations in central Maryland:

      Baltimore City
      4700 Mount Hope Drive
      Baltimore, Maryland
      410-743-8157

      Columbia
      10400 Little
      Patuxent Parkway
      Columbia, Maryland
      410-997-1288

      White Marsh
      8114 Sandpiper Cir,
      Suite 203
      White Marsh,
      Maryland
      410-933-0689

      Bel Air
      2021 Emmorton Road
      Bel Air,
      Maryland
      410-877-7609

      Take care, stay safe, Christine and Gordon West

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 11, 2001
        Deb here. I for one am freaked out. Would appreciate words from any of our
        friends in the DC or NYC area. Take care-d
        Rand, Deb & Benjamin Wise
        2784 Mt. Olive Drive
        Decatur, GA 30033

        Email: rwise.psy88@...
        (404) 327-5765

        See Benjamin at http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin

        "There is no situation that is not transfigurable."
        - Desmond Tutu
      • Bell, Elizabeth
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 11, 2001
          I can tell you what's happening here in Atlanta, Deb. They've evacuated CDC
          HQ and are assembling bioterrorism response teams. We are trying to contact
          all our international field staff, but the phone lines are impossible.

          Can't reach my Dad in NYC, but he's on the upper West Side and am not overly
          concerned.

          Back to speed dialing.

          Liz

        • susan_clasby@amsinc.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 11, 2001
            I'm at work in Fairfax, and from my window can see the smoke rising from the
            Pentagon, there are rumors of additional hijacked planes circling around the
            area.

            Sue

            |--------+----------------------->
            | | "Bell, |
            | | Elizabeth" |
            | | <eib6@...|
            | | > |
            | | |
            | | 09/11/01 |
            | | 12:03 PM |
            | | Please |
            | | respond to |
            | | ujeni |
            | | |
            |--------+----------------------->
            | |
            | To: "'ujeni@yahoogroups.com'" <ujeni@yahoogroups.com> |
            | cc: (bcc: Susan Clasby/AMS/AMSINC) |
            | Subject: RE: [ujeni] Today's events |

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 11, 2001
              Hey Deb,

              I'll be glad to hear word from our other friends in
              the DC/NY area as well. I just had to explain to my
              9th graders the magnitude of the events...it feels so
              far removed to them. I've never been one to be very
              patriotic, but I wish I were in the military right
              now. That just ain't right.

              My prayers are with all the families who have been
              affected.

              Everyone take care,
              Kristi

              http://im.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 11, 2001
                All is well for most people. Stay tuned to any news channel....I picked up
                Gigi at 10:30 AM, and got home at 2:30...traffic is bad, but we are all
                right...
                last update: 56 wounded at pentagon, some fatalies....

              • Vyrle Owens
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 11, 2001

                  Dear Paul,

                  Thanks for the update. We have thought of you and Gigi today and tried to
                  call, obviously without success. Good thing this internet is working at
                  the moment.

                  Something happened between my ISP and my computer this morning and I lost
                  about 20 messages. Probably coincidence.

                  Greetings to all there,

                  Vyrle

                  ----------

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 11, 2001

                    Dear Krisiti, et al,

                    These things to bring out some highly undesirable feelings.

                    My son-in-law worked on the 59th floor of the late World Trade Center (the
                    second tower to collapse). Fortunately he got a late start for work this
                    morning and had not left his apartment (mid-town) on time. The last he
                    heard, about noon, all of the people in his law firm were evacuated or were
                    also late for work. So far so good. My daughter also had a late start
                    this morning, being fully pregnant she just doesn't move as quickly. Both
                    are camped out in their apartment with sufficient groceries for the time
                    being.

                    I don't know what I would be doing, thinking, or feeling if I weren't so
                    fortunate. But I mourn for those who lost loved ones, and am angry about
                    my feeling of helplessness.

                    Thanks to everyone who have reported they are alright. Hope to here more
                    as the hours pass.

                    Stay well,

                    Vyrle

                    ----------
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001
                      Mixed emotions (no one I know/love died, but others did) are going to be
                      popping up all over.

                      Other thoughts will emerge and people will start to attack mosques, Arab
                      restaurants, Afghan restaurants, Persian restaurants, anyone with the name
                      of Habib, Mohammed or Abdul will be suspect and probably rousted.

                      All these actions are wrong, understandable but wrong.

                      These sentiments will continue for quite a while. We are fortunate that so
                      far to our knowledge we have not lost anyone we are related to or know, but
                      there are those out there who did.

                      Everyone and his brother will be called heroes, from the news reporter
                      detaling what happened on the plane as it crashed, to the peolle on the
                      PA-crashed plane who reported that they were "going to do something"

                      Whatever coping mechanisms we use are correct, so long as they do not
                      translate into anger carried out, or misplaced words. Even so, these
                      actions would be understood, and reaction to them would be muted.

                      GOod luck to all, and

                      Please give blood

                    • Maher, Mary Ellen (MTO)
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001
                        Hi-

                        I live on Upper West Side in NYC and work in NJ so I was at work when it all
                        happened....I do have my fiance and several family members/friends who work
                        at or next to WTC, plus extended family members who are NYC cops. All are
                        safe and accounted for though some had horrendous experiences getting out of
                        work/lower Manhattan.

                        Thanks to everyone for all prayers and support.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001

                        • sgeibel@netscape.net
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001

                            Mark Holland <holland@...> wrote:

                            >Rumors are funny things, hey? Last I heard there would be no planes in US airspace
                            >until noon at the absolute earliest. Tough to hijack planes that are sitting on
                            >runways at airports scattered throughout the country.
                            >
                            >Mark
                            >

                            >susan_clasby@... wrote:
                            >
                            >> I'm at work in Fairfax, and from my window can see the smoke rising from the
                            >> Pentagon, there are rumors of additional hijacked planes circling around the
                            >> area.
                            >>
                            >> Sue

                          • Mark Holland
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001
                              Ah, dim of me not to check the time stamp before responding. Sorry about that.

                              sgeibel@... wrote:

                              > I think Sue's message was system-delayed, as it was time-stamped at Noon yesterday. Understandable. The hours after 9:45am yesterday were the scariest and most paranoid here in DC, because once the Pentagon was hit we had to assume that any DC building might be next. At that moment, I was very concerned about my wife and friends who work in buildings near the Mall.

                            • Tana Beverwyk
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001

                                Paul- curious why you believe attacking people because of their first name is 'understandable'?  Of course we are all used to the unthinking stereotyping that goes on in our everyday lives, but just because something is common does not mean it is understandable.  Calling something 'understandable' is the step before calling it acceptable.  Coming from a very person place- Tana

                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001
                                  Maybe I said it wrong...

                                  Thinking these actions is understandable...carrying them out is completely
                                  different...

                                  I think it was more a grammar issue...

                                  BTW, When I was a volunteer (I know, I know...) I was in Mauritania at the
                                  time of the Senegal/Mauritania border problem...

                                  There were quite a few "black owned businesses" around, and they were
                                  sacked, and the peopel mistreated, all because they were black, regardless
                                  that they had been of other nationalities (Guinean v. Mauritanian or
                                  Senegalese), ethnic gorups (Pulaar as opposed to Wolof), etc.

                                  This type of actions (while not at all correct) will be thought by many
                                  people, and as I listen to various radio stations, the DJs are being very
                                  conscious of it, and are hanging up when the diatribe begin...

                                  So we are all on a heightened sense of reaction, and we will be able to
                                  prevail, but there are those out there who are not as we.

                                  That is what I meant. I apologize for any misinterpretation.

                                  Shukran li kamlin innaas min arabia wa magrub, wa massour, etc.

                                    Oh so many emotions.  So much pain.  I didn't mean to be reactionary but I don't think we should stand for or encourage (in the form of understanding) the stereotyping of any person with an Arabic name as somehow associated with this tragedy.  Think of how absurd that is!  So many Arabic countries, so many individuals, so many beliefs, so many personalities. I know that people will automatically do it because some people are simple and angry and looking for an outlet, but lets not understand it or justify it or be compassionate for it in any way.  Anger about the death of so many people is hard to deal with but injuring people who have nothing to do with the cause of your anger is absurd.  Your example of  Mauritania, Paul, is appropriate.  So many examples closer to home (see Pearl Harbor and American Japanese, for one).  I feel so much...so much.  How is everyone else?  -Tana Beverwyk-Abouda

                                    >From: "Paul DEVER"
                                    >To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
                                    >Subject: Re: [ujeni] Today's events
                                    >Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:49:25
                                    >
                                    >Maybe I said it wrong...
                                    >
                                    >Thinking these actions is understandable...carrying them out is completely
                                    >different...
                                    >
                                    >I think it was more a grammar issue...
                                    >
                                    >BTW, When I was a volunteer (I know, I know...) I was in Mauritania at the
                                    >time of the Senegal/Mauritania border problem...
                                    >
                                    >There were quite a few "black owned businesses" around, and they were
                                    >sacked, and the peopel mistreated, all because they were black, regardless
                                    >that they had been of other nationalities (Guinean v. Mauritanian or
                                    >Senegalese), ethnic gorups (Pulaar as opposed to Wolof), etc.
                                    >
                                    >This type of actions (while not at all correct) will be thought by many
                                    >people, and as I listen to various radio stations, the DJs are being very
                                    >conscious of it, and are hanging up when the diatribe begin...
                                    >
                                    >So we are all on a heightened sense of reaction, and we will be able to
                                    >prevail, but there are those out there who are not as we.
                                    >
                                    >That is what I meant. I apologize for any misinterpretation.
                                    >
                                    >Shukran li kamlin innaas min arabia wa magrub, wa massour, etc.

                                  • Vyrle Owens
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 12, 2001

                                      Dear Tana,

                                      Something about your messages doesn't get them through my ISP or into my
                                      computer. The last thing that came through were two pictures, but no
                                      message. I assume you are alright.

                                      I did get a request for an employment reference for you, but the lady did
                                      not return my call. What was the result of your application?

                                      Vyrle