Re: [ujeni] news - WVI food shortage report

  • Stacia & Kristof Nordin
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2001

      This report on a drought in Malawi is interesting considering the lengthy adequate rains last year throughout most of the country!  There were spots in the north that didn't get as much rain as the rest of the country, but the south had enough rains to even cause floods in some areas.  Much of this is merely due to the fact that trees are being cut down combined with the burning off of all the earth's protective organic matter, and that people in the higher areas are not holding their water so it accumulates in mass amounts in the low areas.  And I suppose maize may be a problem because of too much rain.

      But as you read this report, keep in mind that it is merely reporting on maize, not on actual food availabliity.  There are often other carbohydrate sources available including root crops, fruits, other grains, and beans.  Food itself is often avaiable, but without maize many feel that they have not eaten.  Bringing in maize from outisde means that people never have to learn to rely on their local foods to fill their nutritional needs.

      This is something that the small band of nutritionists in Malawi (about 50 for the 10+ million population) are working on educating people about.  The Nutrition Society of Malawi has been meeting over the past year to organize ourselves and create a unified voice to work on food security and nutrition issues.  We are trying to move the food supply to a system that contains a diverse supply of grains, roots, fruits, oilseeds, legumes, nuts, vegetables and animal foods so that no matter what the weather or insect pattern in a year, there is always a supply of nutrients from which to choose.  It is possible and we are showing that it can be done.  We are also trying to influence other programs (such as World Vision) that Malawians have the resources to feed themselves a nutritious diet throughout the year.  Cropping systems and diets will have to diversify, which means education, explainations, showing, learning and understanding.

      Stacia Nordin, RD
      Stacia and Kristof Nordin
      P.O. Box 208, Lilongwe, Malawi, Africa
      Work Phones:  (+265)  757-157 or 757-667
      Work Fax:        (+265)  751-008
      Home Phone:   (+265)  707-213
      Home E-mail:    nordin@...

      From: Christine Chumbler <cchumble@...>
      To: smilstein@... <smilstein@...>; ujeni@yahoogroups.com <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>; seanconchar@... <seanconchar@...>
      Date: Friday, September 07, 2001 3:38 PM
      Subject: [ujeni] news

      Food Shortages Affecting Large Parts of
      Malawi

      UN Integrated Regional
      Information Network
      September 6, 2001
      Posted to the web September 6, 2001

      World Vision International (WVI) said on Wednesday that
      food shortages were affecting large parts of Malawi. "So
      far we know of districts in the north, south and central parts
      of the country that have been affected by these food
      shortages," Elton Ntwana, the Relief and Rehabilitation
      Manager for WVI in Malawi told IRIN. "At the moment there
      is very little maize on the commercial market and what little
      there is is very expensive, so people are really struggling
      to feed themselves. We do know that the Malawian
      government has put in an emergency order of 150,000 mt
      to South Africa to help relieve the shortages."

      WVI said in its latest food assessment of Malawi that the
      food shortages were brought on by a severe drought and
      the resulting poor harvests in large parts of the country.
      Harvesting in Malawi is normally done between late June
      and early September. "We have requested our people and
      partners in the field to send us information on the nutritional
      status of people in their areas. So we are working on trying
      to get a more accurate idea of the nutritional status of the
      population. But the food security situation is very very bad,"
      Ntwana said. "We have heard of acute hunger in some of
      the districts where we have our area development
      programmes."

      Ntwana said that it was not
      possible to say how many
      people have been affected.