A Letter to Time Magazine: In response to Time 6 Aug 2001

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2001
      Here is my soapbox of the month: Sorry if you disagree...well, not realy
      that is the benefit of free speech: answer back!

      Without even going to the story, your cover got me started.

      I grew up with two college educated parents who are professionals, and I had
      three siblings, all older. We did not watch daytime tv...in fact the only tv
      we watched was the CBS news, and maybe NBC while we ate dinner or after
      dinner. Then we hit the books. We all got good grades. We studied. Maybe
      this is because both parents were academicians.

      We grew up with a 13 inch B&W tv. We were not deprived, but we were loved.
      We did not have the fancy gizmos and bells and whistles, but we did have one
      thing: parental control and respect. We did not have Nintendo, Pong, or
      even a VCR in the house. When our parents said, "No", that was it.
      Backtack was not tolerated. Not unless we relished the taste of soap, or
      the feel of warm leather on our backsides. This was not abuse, it was as my
      dad puts it: Laird's Law...

      I am fully cognizant of the fact that our household was exceptional: stable
      marriage, time to spend with family, food on the table, etc., but we
      respected our parents, and their wishes. They to some extent respected our
      wishes.

      We knew better than to whine; it did not good. ADD did not exist, or it was
      called hyperactivity. I knew of only one child who was 'diagnosed' as
      hyperactive, and he was on Ritalin. I knew many kids, so the percentage was
      about 1% of the population of my peer group. Is it the same today? I think
      not. ADD is the buzzword, and scarily, new drugs are available for every
      ailment, except one: parents giving attention to their children, children
      respecting their parents, etc.

      I am not naive enough to believe that these are the only causes of society's
      ills, nor too naive to belive that "proper home training" is the cure for
      all ills. But they are a start. If a parent tolerates bad behavior, it
      will build, and there would be no rationale for it to stop. My parents did
      not subscribe to the philosophy that punishment should be behind closed
      doors; if we acted up in the supermarket, it was in the supermarket that we
      were corrected.

      My Political Science professor in college told us one thing that I remember
      to this day: Authority is Power with Right. Kids might have Power, but
      parents have Authority. Kids have power only because parents relenquished
      it.

    • Raymond R. Wise
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2001
        We've already laid down the law with Benjamin. Like your parents, we will
        not tolerate backtack. Unlike your parents, we will teach our kid how to
        spell! D

        At 02:32 AM 08/01/2001, you wrote:
        >Here is my soapbox of the month: Sorry if you disagree...well, not realy
        >that is the benefit of free speech: answer back!

        >Without even going to the story, your cover got me started.
        >
        >I grew up with two college educated parents who are professionals, and I had
        >three siblings, all older. We did not watch daytime tv...in fact the only tv
        >we watched was the CBS news, and maybe NBC while we ate dinner or after
        >dinner. Then we hit the books. We all got good grades. We studied. Maybe
        >this is because both parents were academicians.
        >
        >We grew up with a 13 inch B&W tv. We were not deprived, but we were loved.
        >We did not have the fancy gizmos and bells and whistles, but we did have one
        >thing: parental control and respect. We did not have Nintendo, Pong, or
        >even a VCR in the house. When our parents said, "No", that was it.
        >Backtack was not tolerated. Not unless we relished the taste of soap, or
        >the feel of warm leather on our backsides. This was not abuse, it was as my
        >dad puts it: Laird's Law...
        >
        >I am fully cognizant of the fact that our household was exceptional: stable
        >marriage, time to spend with family, food on the table, etc., but we
        >respected our parents, and their wishes. They to some extent respected our
        >wishes.
        >
        >We knew better than to whine; it did not good. ADD did not exist, or it was
        >called hyperactivity. I knew of only one child who was 'diagnosed' as
        >hyperactive, and he was on Ritalin. I knew many kids, so the percentage was
        >about 1% of the population of my peer group. Is it the same today? I think
        >not. ADD is the buzzword, and scarily, new drugs are available for every
        >ailment, except one: parents giving attention to their children, children
        >respecting their parents, etc.
        >
        >I am not naive enough to believe that these are the only causes of society's
        >ills, nor too naive to belive that "proper home training" is the cure for
        >all ills. But they are a start. If a parent tolerates bad behavior, it
        >will build, and there would be no rationale for it to stop. My parents did
        >not subscribe to the philosophy that punishment should be behind closed
        >doors; if we acted up in the supermarket, it was in the supermarket that we
        >were corrected.
        >
        >My Political Science professor in college told us one thing that I remember
        >to this day: Authority is Power with Right. Kids might have Power, but
        >parents have Authority. Kids have power only because parents relenquished
        >it.

        Rand, Deb & Benjamin Wise
        2784 Mt. Olive Drive
        Decatur, GA 30033

        Email: rwise.psy88@...
        (404) 327-5765

        See Benjamin at http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin

        "There is no situation that is not transfigurable."
        - Desmond Tutu