Fwd: TREAT AS URGENT CONFIDENTIAL:

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2001
      Heard of these, but never got one...wow!!!

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2001
        Congratulations Paul!

        There was a story about these on the BBC recently (below). They give info for who to contact in the UK if you get one. Not sure about the US, but perhaps the UK folks would know about investigations here, if you wanted to report it.

        Beware of e-mails
        bearing gifts

        The kidnapping of British businessman
        Joseph Raca has put the spotlight on the
        "419 Nigerian letter" scam.

        Thousands of Britons have received
        letters, faxes or e-mails purporting to be
        from an "official" foreign government or
        agency, usually in Africa.

        They offer to transfer millions of pounds
        into the person's personal bank account,
        often in exchange for an "administration"
        fee upfront.

        This is the text of one such phoney letter,
        received by BBC News Online. The name
        and telephone number have been deleted
        and the spelling and grammatical mistakes
        have been left intact.

        CONFIDENTIAL FROM MR ____ ______
        LOME TOGO WEST AFRICA

        ATTENTION THE DIRECTOR Dear
        INTRODUCTION My name is MR ____ ______

        I got your contact through the International
        Chamber of Commerce consultant.

        I am the special Asistant guard to the late
        president of Congo Democratic Republic DRC
        (Mr Laurent Kabila).

        Before the president
        was assasinated on
        Tuesday, 16 January
        2001, there was a huge
        amount of money which
        he was to move out to
        Belgium and united
        states of America
        (U.S.A) up to the tone of Seventy Five Million
        United States Dollars (USD75,000,000).

        It was as a result of his constant moving of
        the country's funds outside the country that
        resulted to his death.

        'Diplomatic valuables'

        Some of the official who knew of this said
        amount planned his assasination, and to
        overthrow his government, they only wanted
        him to die.

        Presentely now the
        level of involvement of
        _________ in the
        whole set up.

        A day before his
        assasination, he
        instructed the
        FINANCIAL EXPERT
        FOREIGN AIDS WHITE
        ASSOCIATE AND I
        MYSELF to move to
        Lome-Togo ONE TRUNK
        BOX containing THE
        SUM OF (USD$20,000
        000) and deposited it
        with one of the international security company
        with its affiliates office in spain and in london
        as family diplomatic valubles.

        So that we could move the trunk box out from
        Togo to Belgium and united states of america
        under Diplomatic coverage where he was
        supposed to lodge in the money into his
        account.

        The day he was to leave for meeting, he was
        assasinated along with the financial foreign
        expert with the intention that the money was
        in his possession.

        My reason for
        contacting you is
        please for you and
        myself, to meet so that
        you will represent as
        the foreign white
        financial expert both of
        us that deposited this
        box for the claim
        because the box can
        only be released to me
        when i come with any
        white foreign
        associate.

        Trunk box

        Please my brother. No body knows that i am
        still alive they all thought that i was also
        assasinated along side with the late president
        (KABILA) but i excaped.

        The security Company did not know the real
        content of the trunk box.

        It is for this I am looking for God fearing trust
        worthy partner that can assist me move the
        money out of Africa.

        As soon as you indicate
        your interest we will
        discuss terms of
        compensation.

        Meanwhile you should
        treat this transaction
        with top most confidentiality and secrecy.

        All the document informations are with me here
        in Togo as i am here i did not intend any more
        to leave the rest of my life in congo as the war
        still on and on i will seak for a nationality in
        your country after this fund is invested
        accurately on your advice and control as you
        and i will be for ever partnership associate with
        regards to the investment aspect of this fund.

        my brother please i will be very happy to
        receive your quick response with regards to
        this email.

        Absolutely there is no other person human who
        knows about this money execpt you and i only.

        THANKS may our lord god be with you.

        YOURS FAITHFULLY ____ ______

        (FOR SECURITY REASON) PLEASE ALWAYS
        REACH ME WITH THIS NUMBER (__ ___ __ __
        __).

        Anyone in the UK receiving such a letter or
        e-mail is advised not to reply and forward
        the correspondence to the National
        Criminal Intelligence Service, PO Box 8000,
        London SE11 5EN, or by e-mail to
        419@...