Re: [ujeni] Correcting Paul...AGAIN

  • Richa Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2001
      This problem is prevalent in Forest Service lingo, which one must speak to
      be fully accepted. Somebody compiled a "Greenspeak" list for new employees.
      It addresses nouns that have been "verbed" and other jargon. Some
      examples from the list:

      In the field: "She's in the field today." Six feet under it? Lolling in
      the dirt or just picking flowers? Don't forget to catch yourself when
      talking to members of the public about being outside the office, in the
      national forest!

      Sensing: finding out what people think or surveying. We use sensing I guess
      because it makes us seem "sensitive" or else suggests our nerves are
      sticking out.

      Tiers: verb. The real word that's spelled like this means, "a person or
      thing who ties" as in, "I saw three fly tiers at the flyfishing convention."
      As used in the Forest Service, the word is an attempt to turn the word
      "tier" into a verb. Tier refers to layers or rows of seats in a theater.
      We may really mean "to dovetail," meaning to join or fit together
      harmoniously. We may also mean that a particular report is based on another
      one.

      Visuals: an adjectival noun having to do with how things look or how they
      should look. Generally used with the word "management." If we intend to
      "manage the visuals," it usually means we intend to change, rearrange, or
      screw up the landscape. To the public, however, "managing the visuals" is
      incomprehensible bureaucratese.

      White hat: If the bad guys wear black hats, then the good guys wear white
      hats. So, a "white hat" project, for example, is one where the agency is
      seen as doing good by everybody. One theory is that enough "white hats"
      will make up for the "black hats" we seem to wear most of the time in
      somebody's eyes. Unfortunately, this theory usually doesn't work.

      Wildlife burn: no, we're not roasting piles of antelope, we're burning
      plants to HELP wildlife! Just watch it so you don't sound like a callous
      ghoul.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2001
        This problem is prevalent in Forest Service lingo, which one must speak to
        be fully accepted. Somebody compiled a "Greenspeak" list for new employees.
        It addresses nouns that have been "verbed" and other jargon. Some
        examples from the list:

        Modern terms:

        In the field: We said it all the time in Africa: In the bush. In French it
        unfortunately sounds better: en brousse.

        Sensing: Second cousin of ginseng.

        Tiers: I like redundancy: tiered layers...

        Visuals: Isn't that what Granny cooked up in "Beverly Hillbillies???"

        White hat: That is an old phrase from spy days....Now Linux has confused us
        all with Red Hat.

        Wildlife burn: Hey, antelope is good, if served with a nice red wine...