Re: [ujeni] Correcting Paul...AGAIN

  • John Patten
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2001
      I'm with you Mark, however if you are on the couch and
      your friend goes to the kitchen, "beer me" saves so
      much time and effort.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2001
        ps- Paul, is "Strunk and White" some sort of Georgia
        moonshine? That would explain a lot.

        --- John Patten <jppatten98@...> wrote:
        > I'm with you Mark, however if you are on the couch
        > and
        > your friend goes to the kitchen, "beer me" saves so
        > much time and effort.
        >
        > --- Mark Holland <holland@...> wrote:
        > > Hmm, Paul I have to say I'm with you on this one.
        > > With apologies to T.S. Eliot, "the verbing of
        > nouns
        > > is a difficult matter". I'm opposed to it on
        > > principle. A while ago I heard of someone who was
        > > heavily into "scrapbooking". Then there is the
        > > relation of my brother's wife who every Saturday
        > > goes
        > > "yardsaleing". To quote the great philosopher
        > > Calvin (of Calvin & Hobbes, not John): verbing
        > > weirds
        > > language.
        > >
        > > Mark
        > >

        > > Paul DEVER wrote:
        > >
        > > > As this missal was from Cathy, I give up and
        > > concede victory to you.
        > > >
        > > > But I was brought up on Strunk and White, and
        > > therefore will stand by my
        > > > feelings.
        > > >
        > > > Anyway, one of the good things about breaking
        > away
        > > fm the Brits, was
        > > > developing our own language, and letting theirs
        > > fall behind...
        > > >
        > > > ----Original Message Follows----

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Mark Holland
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2001
          Hmm, if so, the metaphysical implications of "Strunk and White me" are
          staggering.

          John Patten wrote:

          > ps- Paul, is "Strunk and White" some sort of Georgia
          > moonshine? That would explain a lot.

        • Richa Wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2001
            This problem is prevalent in Forest Service lingo, which one must speak to
            be fully accepted. Somebody compiled a "Greenspeak" list for new employees.
            It addresses nouns that have been "verbed" and other jargon. Some
            examples from the list:

            In the field: "She's in the field today." Six feet under it? Lolling in
            the dirt or just picking flowers? Don't forget to catch yourself when
            talking to members of the public about being outside the office, in the
            national forest!

            Sensing: finding out what people think or surveying. We use sensing I guess
            because it makes us seem "sensitive" or else suggests our nerves are
            sticking out.

            Tiers: verb. The real word that's spelled like this means, "a person or
            thing who ties" as in, "I saw three fly tiers at the flyfishing convention."
            As used in the Forest Service, the word is an attempt to turn the word
            "tier" into a verb. Tier refers to layers or rows of seats in a theater.
            We may really mean "to dovetail," meaning to join or fit together
            harmoniously. We may also mean that a particular report is based on another
            one.

            Visuals: an adjectival noun having to do with how things look or how they
            should look. Generally used with the word "management." If we intend to
            "manage the visuals," it usually means we intend to change, rearrange, or
            screw up the landscape. To the public, however, "managing the visuals" is
            incomprehensible bureaucratese.

            White hat: If the bad guys wear black hats, then the good guys wear white
            hats. So, a "white hat" project, for example, is one where the agency is
            seen as doing good by everybody. One theory is that enough "white hats"
            will make up for the "black hats" we seem to wear most of the time in
            somebody's eyes. Unfortunately, this theory usually doesn't work.

            Wildlife burn: no, we're not roasting piles of antelope, we're burning
            plants to HELP wildlife! Just watch it so you don't sound like a callous
            ghoul.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2001
              Redneck kachasu!

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2001
                This problem is prevalent in Forest Service lingo, which one must speak to
                be fully accepted. Somebody compiled a "Greenspeak" list for new employees.
                It addresses nouns that have been "verbed" and other jargon. Some
                examples from the list:

                Modern terms:

                In the field: We said it all the time in Africa: In the bush. In French it
                unfortunately sounds better: en brousse.

                Sensing: Second cousin of ginseng.

                Tiers: I like redundancy: tiered layers...

                Visuals: Isn't that what Granny cooked up in "Beverly Hillbillies???"

                White hat: That is an old phrase from spy days....Now Linux has confused us
                all with Red Hat.

                Wildlife burn: Hey, antelope is good, if served with a nice red wine...