To Paul et.al.

  • Vyrle Owens
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2001
      Paul et. al.

      A friend sent the following. Those of you who are sophisticated internet
      users have probably seen it but I thought is was worthy of passing along
      for a bit of amusement.

      I trust everyone is well.

      THE BEGINING OF THE INTERNET

      An old bearded shephard with a crooked staff walked up
      to a stone pulpit and said, "And lo, it came to pass
      that a caravan trader by the name of Abraham Com did
      take unto himself a young wife by the name of Dot." Now
      Dot Com was a comely and strong woman, broad of shoulder
      and long of leg. Over time, she had come to be known as
      Amazon Dot Com. One day she said to Abraham, her
      husband, "Why doth thou travel from town to town with
      thy goods when thou can trade without ever leaving thy
      tent?" And Abraham looked at her as though she were
      several saddle bags short of a camel load, but simply
      said, "How, Dear?" And Dot replied, "I will place drums
      in all the towns and drums in between to send messages
      saying what you have for sale. Those who meet your
      price can send gold, and you can deliver your goods by
      Uriah's Pony Stable (UPS). To buy, you can select the
      best price being offered." Abraham thought long and
      decided to let Dot have her way with the drums. And the
      drums thundered and were an immediate success. Abraham
      traded without leaving his tent. But this success did
      arouse envy. And lo, the land was so feverish with joy
      at the new riches and the deafening sound of the drums,
      that no one noticed that the real riches were going to
      the drum maker, one Brother William of Gates, who had
      bought up every drum company in the land. And did
      indeed insist on making drums that would work only if
      you bought Brother Gates' drumsticks. So Dot did
      say, "Oh Abraham, what we have started is being taken
      over by others." As Abraham pondered while looking out
      over the Bay of Ezekiel, or as it came to be
      known "eBay," he said, "We need a name that reflects
      what we are." And Dot replied, "Young Ambitious Hebrew
      Owner Operators." "Whoopee!" said Abraham. "No,
      YAHOO!" said Dot Com. And that is how it all began. It
      was not Al Gore after all