journal article

  • Scott Geibel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2001
      I've just picked up the Winter, 2001 issue of the "Public Interest" journal.  There is an article "My Time in Peace Corps," by Saral Waldorf (Malawi 94-96). Her essay brings up some interesting issues about professional vs. unskilled generalist placements, taxpayer costs per volunteer, and host-country benefits.  To make a long story short, she basically concludes that the current system doesn't work in respect to providing skilled manpower, amongst other things.  I agree with some of her points, but disagree with some as well.  I recommend you all read it at the library if possible, and draw your own conclusions-- this is a professional journal article which may influence policy-makers.

      To her credit (and to my relief), Saral does not specifically mention any of us who knew her in the article- by name or example- in support of her thesis.

      Scott
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2001
        Is this the same Sarah Waldorf who went to two or three countries as a
        PCV???

        Self-fulfilling prophesy or research?