Fw: Roll Your Own Blackout

  • Weber
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2001
      I've read about this before so one of you probably sent it but here it is again.

      Date: Thursday, May 31, 2001 7:51 AM
      Subject: Roll Your Own Blackout

      ROLL YOUR OWN BLACKOUT
      THE FIRST DAY OF SUMMER
      JUNE 21, 2001 THURS EVE,
      7-10pm worldwide, all time zones

      This is a national, many-organization grassroots event.

      George W. Bush's proposed budget cuts 50% from the already meager renewable
      fuels research programs, and adds a big line item for "clean" coal research
      grants. Turns out that the coal industry bosses included some "pioneers"
      for George W. who gave up to $200,000 each in early money to the campaign.

      The "Roll Your Own Blackout" should be a pleasant way to spend a summer
      evening. What a gentle way to protest!

      ROLL YOUR OWN BLACK OUT THE FIRST DAY OF SUMMER JUNE 21, 2001 THURS EVE,
      7-10pm worldwide, all time zones

      In protest of George W. Bush's energy policies and lack of emphasis on
      efficiency, conservation and alternative fuels, there will be a voluntary
      rolling blackout on the first day of summer, June 21 from 7pm - 10pm in any
      time zone (thus it will roll across the planet).

      Its a simple protest and a symbolic act. Turn out your lights from 7pm-10pm
      on June 21. Unplug whatever you can unplug in your house. Light a candle to
      the sun god, kiss and tell, tell ghost stories, do something instead of
      watching television, have fun in the dark.

      Forward this email as widely as possible, to your government
      representatives and environmental contacts. Let them know we want global
      education, participation and funding in conservation, efficiency and
      alternative fuel efforts -- and an end to over exploitation and misuse of
      the earth's resources.

      Susan LeFever,
      Chapter Director Sierra Club Rocky Mountain Chapter
      1410 Grant St, Ste B-205 Denver, CO 80203
      phone: 303-861-8819 fax:303-861-2436