I need some ideas

  • Daniel Dudley
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2001
      First of all, I am not soliciting funds lest I feel the wrath of Shockley, I
      am writing this to ask for any ideas that you may have.

      I have been trying for a year to get Gertrude's brother into the school that
      I am teaching at. He is a good kid like so many that we got to know over
      there. The school offered him $22,000 in scholarship money, but I have to
      come up with the other nearly $5,000 plus airfare, visa and the
      like(expensive school, but a once in a Malawian life-time experience). What
      I would like to know is if any of you know of any organizations out there
      that might be able to help even a little bit. I am a teacher and you all
      know how little teachers make.

      I would appreciate any information that you could offer.

      Sincerely,
      Dan Dudley
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2001
        Maybe friends of malawi and that author guy....the one who wrote that he
        hated being the only white guy there, but it was helpful when he had to get
        his penicillin for his syphillis...and the one who said, "Independence
        sucks..now the prostitutes want money for sex..."

        First of all, I am not soliciting funds lest I feel the wrath of Shockley, I
        am writing this to ask for any ideas that you may have.

        I have been trying for a year to get Gertrude's brother into the school that
        I am teaching at. He is a good kid like so many that we got to know over
        there. The school offered him $22,000 in scholarship money, but I have to
        come up with the other nearly $5,000 plus airfare, visa and the
        like(expensive school, but a once in a Malawian life-time experience). What
        I would like to know is if any of you know of any organizations out there
        that might be able to help even a little bit. I am a teacher and you all
        know how little teachers make.

        I would appreciate any information that you could offer.

        Sincerely,
        Dan Dudley
      • Kenneth E. Shockley
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27, 2001
          My good Mr. Dudley, after the social slapping I received last year (or was
          it the year before?), I wouldn't dare release my wrath, at least by means
          of this venue (and, by the by, I do not disapprove). Unfortunately, I have
          no advice. Good luck to you. (And does anyone have any idea what Dever
          is babbling about?)

          On a completely different note, a friend of mine just completed his
          dissertation. After his herculian effort, he found that he had lots of
          spare time while he waited for the administrative cogs to churn out his
          degree. And he had lost the capacity to do nothing. So he took a look at
          the flags of the world...

          http://philrsss.anu.edu.au/~josh/flags/intro.html

          Be sure to check out the methodology section.

          It is really quite funny. And tasteful. I almost never recommend web
          sites. But this one is really worth a little time. And now I can tell
          you what the flags of Vanuatu and Liechtenstein look like. This might
          even be a resource for teachers... or something. I do hope you are all
          well.

          Cheers,
          Ken down under

          _________________________
          Kenneth Shockley
          Department of Philosophy
          Campus Box 1073
          Washington University
          St. Louis, MO 63130

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 27, 2001
            Dever is babbling about "Friends of Malawi", the RPCV groups that is one of
            the best-funded RPCV groups around...They might have money...

            Paul Theroux is the half-wit I wastalking about: He writes about his
            experiences as a PCV, and of his travels...Well known author