Mzuzu notes

  • Scott Geibel
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2001
      This is for the northerners familiar with Mzuzu... I just came across some notes that I jotted down while I was in the area in October:

      The Cool Spot is still there... the Hot Spot had been replaced back in 1997 by "The Sombrero," and has undergone another name change, now called "Sa Boutique."

      Right across the main street (on the side where the Tropicana used to be located), there's a new restaurant.. appears to be Indian-owned... called "Burger King"- a take-out restaurant with burgers, hot-dogs, samoosas, etc.  they have high tables with barstools.

      Tropicana is still in the same spot across the street where they moved around 1997... you can still get toasted cheese sandwiches there... that old Portuguese man still sits at the same table surrounded by his posse, playing cards all day long.

      The Chenda hotel has really gone downhill... no maintenance.

      There are a couple of offices offering Internet access... no internet cafes yet. Expensive and slow.

      The CCAP guesthouse is now MK 200 per night... still a good deal, and still a decent place to stay.  They have built an entrance to the road right in front of the guesthouse...

      The market is completely closed down for renovations... the entire market has moved to a "shanty market" on the hillside between the CCAP grounds and the airport.

      Greens/browns are MK 50 in the city.

      The M1 from Mzuzu to Karonga has been completely graded and bridges rebuilt, preparing for new tar.  I talked to someone who drove from Chilumba to Mzuzu in less than two hours... amazing.