Re: [ujeni] Fw: Health, Humanitarianism and Trade

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2001
      I must say that I agree...

      I understand the concept of Research and Development costs, but at the same
      time, the obscene bonuses and salaries paid to CEOs kind of overshadows the
      assistance that could be done with that money.

      Similar to software: there is no logical reason that anyone purchasing
      Microsoft Office should shell out $400 for it...there hav not been
      significant changes for the average user in ten years (it still tpyes a
      letter for you and helps you balance your checkbook...which is I think what
      most people do).

      Again, with record companies...royalties....etc.

      I now relinquish the soapbox back to Cathy.
    • Kenneth E. Shockley
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2001
        Well, I'd agree that there haven't been improvements that justify shelling
        out the cash for each new revisions, and there are som other serious
        problems. I certainly wouldn't want to vindicate large corporations, but
        Paul, you might recognize the value of a good editor and spell-checker...

        > ...there hav not been
        > significant changes for the average user in ten years (it still tpyes a
        > letter for you and helps you balance your checkbook...

        Have a nice day. It's 90 today in Canberra.

        Ken
      • Kenneth E. Shockley
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2001
          er, that should have read '...each new revision, and there are some
          other...'

          the irony, the shame

          Kenneth Shockley
          Department of Philosophy
          Campus Box 1073
          Washington University
          St. Louis, MO 63130

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2001
            Well, you gotta give those Philosophy majors something to talk about aside
            from....Uh, when you leave your house and go to work, how do you REALLY know
            that your house is really there????