Fwd: PBS will air Hopes on the Horizon

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2001
      A potentially interesting program.
    • Weber
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2001
        Hi Christine...Could you copy the attachment into the email message. I
        can't open the attachment and am not adept enough to follow all the
        instructions on how to make my computer accept that type of attachment. I
        know Paul, you're going to make one of those "agist" comments, go right
        ahead. Thanks Christine. Cathy

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2001
          Ya know, it occurred to me right after I sent that message that I should have exercised the ol' copy and paste option instead. Here tis.

          On Friday, Februrary 16, 2001, at 9:00 p.m., PBS (check local listing) will
          air Hopes on the Horizon, a documentary chronicling the rise of
          pro-democracy movements in six African countries during the 1990's. The
          two-hour documentary tells the stories of men and women who initiated,
          witnessed and participated in these tumultuous changes. The six countries
          featured are Benin, Nigeria, Rwanda, Morocco, Mozambique and South Africa.

          In addition to the broadcast, the Hopes on the Horizon includes a guide and
          an extensive website. The guide is designed to assist educators in planning
          a classroom experience and provides suggestions for activities, discussion
          topics, community resources and event planning. The website: www.pbs.org
          provides comprehensive resources, reference materials, and background
          information about the events featured in the doumentary.

          Hopes on the Horizon is a project of Blackside, Inc., also known for its
          civil rights mini-series documentary "Eyes on the Prize." On February 6, I
          joined about 500 other people at Union Station for a preview screening of
          the Benin segment. It was a heartening and really well-done rendering of
          the radically positive Benin experience - "the people take back their
          country from a dictatorial government."

          Hopes on the Horizon is one of four special projects of the Africa Policy
          Initiative, which was funded four years ago by the Ford Foundation, the
          Kellogg Foundation and the Carnegie Corporation. The other three projects
          are: The National Summit on Africa (which culminated in Feb. 2000); The
          Study Commission on Africa, and the African Arts and Cultural Education
          Program (The African Odyssey). All of these efforts were designed to raise
          awareness about Africa in the U.S., inspire a more enlightened set of U.S
          policies toward Africa and strengthen the American constituency for Africa.

          *** Happy Viewing on February 16 ***

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 10, 2001
            TO a woman who gave me the best massage ever I would never accuse of
            agism...Her husband however...