Why we shouldn't idolize sports figures

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2001
      Why we shouldn't idolize sports figures:

      New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season: "I
      want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."

      And, upon hearing Joe Jacobi of the 'Skins say: "I'd run over my own mother
      to win the Super Bowl," Matt Millen of the Raiders said: "To win, I'd run
      over Joe's Mom, too."

      Chicago Cubs outfielder Andre Dawson on being a role model: "I want all the
      kids to do what I do, to look up to me. I want all the kids to copulate me."

      Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann 1996: "Nobody in
      football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

      Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh: "I'm going to
      graduate on time, no matter how long it takes."

      Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach: "You guys line up
      alphabetically by height." And: "You guys pair up in groups of three, then
      line up in a circle."

      Boxing promoter Dan Duva on Mike Tyson hooking up again with promoter Don
      King: "Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter? He went to prison
      for three years, not Princeton."

      Stu Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color
      photo of himself above his locker: "That's so when I forget how to spell my
      name, I can still find my clothes."

      Shaquille O'Neal on whether he had visited the Parthenon during his visit to
      Greece: "I can't really remember the names of the clubs that we went to." "

      Shaquille O'Neal, on his lack of championships: "I've won at every level,
      except college and pro."

      Lou Duva, veteran boxing trainer, on the Spartan training regime of
      heavyweight Andrew Golota: "He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the
      morning regardless of what time it is."

      Pat Williams, Orlando Magic general manager, on his team's 7-27 record in
      1992: "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As general manager, I
      just can't figure out where else to play."

      Chuck Nevitt, North Carolina State basketball player, explaining to Coach
      Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice: "My sister's expecting a
      baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt."

      Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at
      Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy is that
      15 hadn't been colored in yet."

      Jim Finks, New Orleans Saints General Manager, when asked after a loss what
      he thought of the refs: "I'm not allowed to comment on lousy no good
      officiating."

      Alan Kulwicki, stock car racer, on racing Saturday nights as opposed to
      Sunday afternoons: "It's basically the same, just darker."

      Lincoln Kennedy, Oakland Raiders tackle, on his decision not to vote: "I was
      going to write myself in, but I was afraid I'd get shot."

      Frank Layden, Utah Jazz president, on a former player: "I told him, Son,
      what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't
      know and I don't care.'"

      Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins: "He
      treats us like men. He lets us wear earrings."

      Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a
      player who received four F's and one D: "Son, looks to me like you're
      spending too much time on one subject."

      And The Gem: Oiler coach Bum Phillips when asked by Bob Costas why he takes
      his wife on all the road trips, Phillips responded: "Because she is too damn
      ugly to kiss good-bye."