Going to Malawi

  • Rand Wise
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2001
      Hi. Deb here. My husband (Rand) and I were teachers from 95-97. Here's my
      advice:

      * Pack a set of comfort clothes to wear for when you are feeling
      down. You can get clothes to wear to work from the street vendors.

      * Take some packs of pasta sauce mixes. Noodles are available in the cities.

      * Take spices in ziploc baggies. They don't weigh much and will do wonders
      for
      your beans and rice. Some spices are available in Indian shops in the big
      cities.

      * Take one very good sharp knife. We scoffed when we were given this
      advice before we left, but turns out it was a good idea.

      * Avoid using brand new chims (pit latrines) during the rainy season.

      * Get a good worker- perhaps one with letters of recommendation from previous
      volunteers.

      * As far as sex goes, take your husband with you. If that is not possible,
      Paul's advice is good.

      * You may have occasional access to the internet. Please keep us Ujenians
      up to date. Some of us have even been know to send goodies!

      Last but not least, advice from my mom: Always keep your panties up and
      your gum in your mouth.

      Salani bwino- Deb

      PS- Where do you live? There may be some of us around you. A little
      gathering may be fun with pictures and what not.

      Rand, Deb & Benjamin Wise
      2784 Mt. Olive Drive
      Decatur, GA 30033

      Email: rwise.psy88@...
      (404) 327-5765

      See Benjamin at http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin

      "There is no situation that is not transfigurable."
      - Desmond Tutu
    • Foy, Elizabeth
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2001
        RE: [ujeni] Going to Malawi

        Deb and Paul,

        Thanks for the advice.  I live in Austin, Texas, so if there are any of you close by, let me know!  I'd love to see pictures, hear stories, etc.