World AIDS Day

  • Scott Geibel
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
      Not that we've joked a bit about AIDS control and have that out of our system, let me remind everyone that today is World AIDS Day.  I went to a rally today at Lafayette Park and was very disappointed with the low turnout- only a couple of hundred at the most.  I guess people were more interested in going to the Supreme Court instead.

      As some of you know, I took the opportunity to go back and visit Chitipa last month after being gone slightly over two years.  Few if any staff died at the District Hospital while I was there from 96-98.  I knew that a couple of people had died since then, but nothing prepared me for just how much AIDS has been devastating the civil service population.  I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was.

      A senior clinical officer, the matron, the matron's replacement, the head family planning nurse, two medical assistants, the pharmacist, the lab assistant, an HSA in charge of the TB program, a patient attendant, a cook, a guard, and a driver.  All passed away. Quite an amazing amount of turnover in two years for one of the smallest district hospitals in one of the smallest districts of Malawi.

      The situation is getting worse--as I'm sure all of you are well aware.  Do what you can.

      Scott
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
        The sad irony is that these were people in the Health field. I am sure that
        some of them contraced AIDS during the "Period of Ignorance", but not all.

        Another irony in PC/M history is that there were quite a few AIDS
        Educators/Counselor PCVs who engaged in unsafe safe. These were the ones
        that I knew of, so I am sure there were others. The "It can't happen to me"
        or "Just this once" or "Oh, s/he is faithful so there is nothing to worry
        about" syndromes must be fought on several fronts, even by the PCMOs.

        At AmeriCorps*NCCC it does not seem to be a problem, but they are given a
        slight wake-up call when I tell them tales of living on the dark continent
        and the high rates of HIV infection...not that it does any goods, but they
        are surprised nonetheless.