Cultural woes

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2000
      Mme. Muluzi is right in wanting to change certain practices, but polygamy,
      and circumcision rites do not need to be stopped. Plus I am oh so tired of
      people falling on the "our culture will be lost, etc." argument.

      Polygamy (<like polyandry> not a practice I participate in, but nor one that
      I condemn), in itself is not dangerous. If one person sleeps with five
      others, then none of the six is at risk of catching an STD, if each enters
      the union disease-free.

      Same as circumcision. The practice itself can be altered (using clean
      instruments each time), or even same instrument for a group of youngsters
      who have not been exposed to HIV/STDs previously. I know, I know...no
      fluids should be given the chance to transmit between two people, etc., but
      that in itself is another fight.

      It is when one of these six individuals in the polygamous union stray for
      whatever reason, or one gets pricked by a needle, or shoots up, or gets a
      disease any other fashion. This person could be set aside, or have a condom
      used when conjugating.

      It is too easy to blame culture or hide behind it to resist change. I heard
      that in the Yao culture, the grandparents initiate the youngsters, or that
      an old man will initiate all the women coming of age. Don't know if it i
      strue, but I believe all religions/belief systems would certainly have in
      themselves controls to prevent extinction. If you allow free sex,
      uncontrolled, unfettered, then soon, all the tribe/family/village would die
      out...

      Kudos for trying to change, but boos on the methods and rationale.