Re: [ujeni] Barak

  • Sara Hersey
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 16, 2000
      Hey ujenis (zujeni?), I feel fortunate that on this side of the world US
      politics has taken a bit of a sideline compared to Isreal/Palestine news.
      Dan, try anything that doesn't begin with CNN. The BBC coverage has been
      excellent. Try their web site for the transcript of a recent HardTalk
      interview with one of the senior Isreali ministers. The sound bite seems to
      be that the Isreali military is using high power weapons to kill kids who
      only have rocks. Much more balanced then US reporting, and Isreal is taking
      a beating in the press (something that rarely happens under the stars and
      stripes).

      And while I am here... Any ex-Malawites living in SE Asia? Basi does not
      translate well into Thai and Lao (my two new homes for the moment). but
      there is a Carlsberg plant here. The quality is a little less haphazard,
      but there are no Browns to be seen.

      Cheers to all,

      Sara Hersey

      http://profiles.msn.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2000
        Let us all remember that there will never be peace there unless one of
        several things happens:

        1. The Israelis depart.

        2. The Palestinians depart.

        Reason: According to the Israelis, Israel is the land that God gave them.
        They have no reason to give it up.

        As evidence, I remind you of Burundi and Rwanda: there will never be peace
        there until either the Hutus or the Tutsi leave (or are all killed). Either
        way they "depart"

        Such is life: neither good or bad, but it just is.

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • Mark Holland
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 16, 2000
          This just isn't true. A majority of Israelis are secular in orientation and
          want peace. There is currently a fragile & unpleasant peace in
          Rwanda/Burundi. There was peace for many many years there before the
          genocide. The glib assertion that all Israelis invoke religious arguments to
          lay claim to the land is simply at odds with reality. The glib assertion that
          today's fundamental and seeming irreconcilable conflicts will never pass until
          one of the two conflicting parties is annihilated is at odds with history.
          Witness Iran/Iraq. All it would take, for example, is a common enemy.

          Mark

          Paul DEVER wrote:

          > Let us all remember that there will never be peace there unless one of
          > several things happens:
          >
          > 1. The Israelis depart.
          >
          > 2. The Palestinians depart.
          >
          > Reason: According to the Israelis, Israel is the land that God gave them.
          > They have no reason to give it up.
          >
          > As evidence, I remind you of Burundi and Rwanda: there will never be peace
          > there until either the Hutus or the Tutsi leave (or are all killed). Either
          > way they "depart"
          >
          > Such is life: neither good or bad, but it just is.
        • Tana Beverwyk
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 19, 2000
            Dan- It's been hard to follow amid the election frenzy, but here's what I've
            gleaned from international news stations....definite escalation in the fighting,
            Barak saying he wishes there had been more violence (or less restraint).
            Palestinians fighting with guns now. 1 Israeli solder killed by a Palestinian
            gun. That was on Friday. I'll let you know if I hear any more- Tana

            Dan Talbot wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > Amid this incredible week of electoral uncertainty Israel has taken a back
            > seat in the news. I was wondering if anyone happened to watch/hear Barak's
            > speach from Chicago tonight. It was on Cspan2. Has anyone been following
            > this closely? Especially in the past week? A friend of mine who lives near
            > Tel Aviv has told me that among Israelies there is growing concern that a
            > peaceful solution seems to be fading away. This certainly seemed to be the
            > tone of Barak tonight, he seemed to be speaking in the past tense when he
            > mentioned their restraint. I read in a small blurb on cnn.com two days ago
            > that Saddam Hussein is training over 600,000 new soldiers who volunteered in
            > the past month to join in a war against Israel. I know there was some dialog
            > on ujeni a while back on this issue. Any new thoughts in light of the recent
            > events? I'm just curious if it's me or that the situation is seriously
            > deteriorating and just not making the news because of the election....
            >
            > Yewo

            > http://profiles.msn.com

          • Tana Beverwyk
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 19, 2000
              You've reminded me of a little tid-bit, Sarah. I heard on the BBC that during
              Barak's US visit last week hear met with CNN to let them know that he felt
              their coverage was biased toward the Palestinians. !!! He used as evidence
              CNN's employment of several Palestinian journalists. CNN reportedly assured him
              that their journalists were trying to be as fair as possible. This was
              certainly news to those of us following the story on CNN. By the way, has
              anyone heard that Coke Cola settled for the largest amount of money this week in
              a discrimination lawsuit? "Little" news that got lost along the way. Bizarre
              that it hasn't been all over...at least the second page... -Tana

              Sara Hersey wrote:

              > Hey ujenis (zujeni?), I feel fortunate that on this side of the world US
              > politics has taken a bit of a sideline compared to Isreal/Palestine news.
              > Dan, try anything that doesn't begin with CNN. The BBC coverage has been
              > excellent. Try their web site for the transcript of a recent HardTalk
              > interview with one of the senior Isreali ministers. The sound bite seems to
              > be that the Isreali military is using high power weapons to kill kids who
              > only have rocks. Much more balanced then US reporting, and Isreal is taking
              > a beating in the press (something that rarely happens under the stars and
              > stripes).
              >
              > And while I am here... Any ex-Malawites living in SE Asia? Basi does not
              > translate well into Thai and Lao (my two new homes for the moment). but
              > there is a Carlsberg plant here. The quality is a little less haphazard,
              > but there are no Browns to be seen.
              >
              > Cheers to all,
              >
              > Sara Hersey

              > http://profiles.msn.com

            • Tana Beverwyk
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 19, 2000
                great point, Mark. Hum...we look like a good enemy...... -Tana