Nader's traders

  • Scott Geibel
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2000
      Some of us voted for Perot under similar pretenses in 1992 and 1996... the
      Reform Party got over 5% and their federal funding. Pat Buchanan zeroed in
      on the funding and now the Party is a bit of a joke- two days ago Perot
      endorsed Buchanan. Maybe I'm a bit too naively ethical, but I hope that
      everyone votes for who they believe in based on who is running now- even if
      the consequences seem dire. On the off-chance that Pauly Shore may get the
      2004 Green nomination and completely waste away $12 million in federal
      election funding, I'm voting my conscience-- Gore in a non-swing state.

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Scott Geibel
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2000
        whoops... Perot endorsed Bush, not Buchanan

      • wiserd@mindspring.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2000
          Actually Perot endorsed Bush. Buchanan accuses Perot of abandoning and sabotaging the Reform Party, which I think is ironic. A cynical reading of the situation (which I have no positive grounds to believe, yet nevertheless would not surprise me when I read Buchanan's memoirs 20 years from now) is that Buchanan highjacked the party to prevent it from cementing the mainstream ground it gained in 1996.

          Swing state or not, I hope Nader does not lose votes to Gore's Supreme Court arguments that play on people's fears. It is this system of voting for the lesser of two evils that puts us in this god-awful position of having to choose between a moron and a hypocrite. I'll trade a supreme court justice or two today for a healthier democracy for tomorrow.

          Rand

          ujeni@egroups.com wrote:
          > Some of us voted for Perot under similar pretenses in 1992 and 1996... the Reform Party got over 5% and their federal funding. Pat Buchanan zeroed in
          on the funding and now the Party is a bit of a joke- two days ago Perot
          endorsed Buchanan. Maybe I'm a bit too naively ethical, but I hope that
          everyone votes for who they believe in based on who is running now- even if
          the consequences seem dire. On the off-chance that Pauly Shore may get the
          2004 Green nomination and completely waste away $12 million in federal
          election funding, I'm voting my conscience-- Gore in a non-swing state.
        • Mark Holland
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2000
            Well, I've been biting my tongue throughout all of this, but this time I couldn't resist jumping in:

            As much as I respect Rand, I have to point out that the supreme court is an integral part of a healthy democracy, that SC justices are appointed for life, and that probably 3 of them are on the line. The court has been the only federal agency to have actually tackled any of the hard issues of late. I don't see this as a Gore scare tactic at all, in the same way that I don't see his debunking of the
            Bush budget "plan" as "fuzzy math". He seems to me to be addressing substance here. I think there is a lot on the line.

            I have great respect for Nader and for the shift in political values he represents. My conscience tells me to vote for him and in a perfect world I would. Voting against the person you hate most is an appaling way to participate in democracy, but remembering that "democracy is the worst possible system except for all the others", it's my opinion that the damage to be done by voting for Nader in a swing
            state outweighs the benefit to be reaped from his ability to influence our political system for the better.

            With apologies, this will all be over soon,
            Mark