A valuable perspective indeed, cynicism to action

  • Vyrle Owens
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2000

      Yes Webers, it is an interesting perspective, full of a bunch of truth,
      whether factual or not.

      When was the last time a candidate or a party actually received votes
      totalling more than 50 percent of the population or at least the population
      over the age of eighteen. (Not fifty percent of the registered voters, or
      even 50 percent of the people casting votes.) Probably no mandates this
      year, other than the questionable mandate of silence, living room
      complaining, apathy? or indifference? or worst "my vote doesn't really
      count anyway.

      He is right, what matters is that each person actually participates, is
      mentally engaged, perhaps even emotionally engaged, spiritually engaged, or
      best of all worlds, thinks about what to do, generates some feeling about
      it (other than "I don't count"), prays about it if they are so inclined,
      and then actually not only casts a ballot, but follows up with doing some
      kind of some good for someone nearby who can actually receive the benefit
      of the service.

      Thanks for the soapbox,

      Vyrle

      From: Weber <weber@...>
      To: ujeni@egroups.com
      Subject: [ujeni] A valuable perspective!
      Date: Friday, 03 November, 2000 07:41 PM

      This is particularly for Paul but is a great and fun perspective. Paul,
      you are looking at voting all wrong! EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS. Why had
      I never quite looked at elections in this light????

      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/11/03
      /DD100414.DTL