Re: [ujeni] Fee for service at Malawi hospitals?

  • Weber
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2000
      John....Here's an article passed through a League of Women Voters e mail
      group about user fees of all kinds. Don't know anything about the authors
      and how biased their bias is and where that bias comes from. I'll write to
      my friends at Queen Elizabeth but think my letters haven't been getting to
      them and that none may still be there. 2 went to South Africa to school to
      get PT degrees, they just had diploma's. They couldn't possibly be better
      tharapists than they already were but they'll get a lot better pay and
      better positions. Last Margaret wrote they were going to try to stay on for
      the Masters but heard that Margaret was back at QECH so I'll try writing
      again. It will take for ever to hear back though, of course. My boss is
      now at that other hospital....the very fancy private one in the Post

      I'd really like to know what Eriko's conclusions are when she gets through.
      User fees scare me because there is no question in my mind that some people
      will not get treatment. We developed a flexible policy on crutch deposits
      ( for those who needed them temporarily so they would be returned because
      the supply was so, so short) and it took us on the national PT association
      board many, many meetings to come up with something that we thought might
      get crutches returned but not be prohibitive and then fee collection on a
      patient by patient basis remained somewhat privately discretionary. Boy,
      the whole thing was tough! Cathy

      IMF/World Bank: Stupid, Cruel, Brutal
      >By Russell Mokhiber and Robert Weissman
      >There is no policy of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank
      >that is more stupid, cruel and brutal than the insistence that poor
      >countries charge fees for children to attend school and for people to
      >access basic health services.
      >The IMF and World Bank condition loans to impoverished countries on the
      >adoption of Contract with America-style "structural adjustment" policies.
      >User fees -- also known as community financing, cost sharing or cost
      >recovery -- are often one part of the structural adjustment policy
      >In passing an appropriations amendment in July that would stop future
      >funding for the IMF and the World Bank if the two lending agencies do not
      >stop imposing user fees for basic healthcare and education services, the
      >U.S. House of Representatives has taken an important step toward ending
      >this callous and wrongheaded policy.
      >Unfortunately, the Treasury Department, anxious to avoid any
      >appropriations limitations for its IMF and World Bank policy arms, is
      >working to block inclusion of the amendment in the final foreign
      >operations appropriations bill. As administration officials and members of
      >Congress and their staffs negotiate the terms of a final foreign
      >operations appropriations bill, the educational opportunity and health of
      >millions of people in the world's poorest countries hang in the balance.
      >The evidence accumulated from around the world over the last decade is
      >quite clear. User fees for education lower school attendance rates,
      >especially among young girls. User fees for primary health services deny
      >access to care and preventative treatment for the poor, leading to the
      >spread of unnecessary and preventable death and disease. And user fee
      >"exemptions" for the poor, or sliding payment scales, routinely fail due
      >to administrative problems, corruption, inadequate notice to the poor or
      >other difficulties.
      >* In Gambia, in primary health care program villages with insecticide
      >provided free of charge, bednet impregnation -- for malaria prevention --
      >was five times higher than in villages where charges were introduced.
      >Households consistently cited lack of money as the main reason they chose
      >not to dip bednets.
      >* Introduction of a 33 cent fee for visits to Kenyan outpatient health
      >centers led to a 52 percent reduction in outpatient visits. After the fee
      >was suspended, visits rose 41 percent. In Papua New Guinea, the
      >introduction of user fees led to a 30 percent decline in outpatient
      >visits. Studies in Niger have found that user fees extend the period that
      >patients wait before seeking outpatient care.
      >* UNICEF reports that in Malawi, the elimination of modest school fees and
      >uniform requirements in 1994 caused primary enrollment to increase by
      >about 50 percent virtually overnight -- from 1.9 million to 2.9 million.
> [...]

      John Gear, Lansing Area LWV
      Got representation? Get an advanced voting system! See