Re: The Debate

  • yewo98@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2000
      --- In ujeni@egroups.com, Mark Holland <holland@p...> wrote:
      > Seconded. It has struck me this time around what a great country
      we live in,
      > where every citizen has the right to vote against the candidate he
      or she
      > hates the most.
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > Rand Wise wrote:
      >
      > > Hey guys. Any feedback from the debate last night?
      > >
      > > I (Deb) was personally disgusted when Bush said that he'll
      forgive third
      > > world debt if countries give us valuable rain forests. Gore came
      off as a
      > > snakey liar.

      Christine Manchester wrote:

      Hey, I am usually just a reader of this fine commentary but in light
      of the debate last night, I thought you'd all like to know a little
      more about Nadar.
      "We're dealing here with the ultimate kamikaze dive into a
      corrupt
      two-party system. Our country is more important than their sleazy
      fundraisers and their sleazy debate commission, which is funded by
      Anheuser-Busch, tobacco companies, auto companies and all the others
      that have corporatized our entire society." -- 10.3.00

      Interesting info here:
      www.issues2000.org/Ralph_Nader.htm
      www.votenadar.org
      www.greens.org
      A semi-concerned voter---Chris
    • Kenneth E. Shockley
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2000
        Deb sez,

        > Ken, if by the grace of whoever it is that grants grace you get into the
        > town hall meeting, could you pursue the 3rd world debt issue? My chips
        are
        > all on you, big guy.

        Deb, et al.

        I am normally a political person. I am also an extraordinarily paranoid
        person, and am surprised that I have not seen a larger number of "book
        salesmen" milling about campus in bad shoes and aviators. I also still
        have a small chance of actually getting into the debate. If I am not in
        the debate I will be in the protest outside the debate, awaiting teargas.
        If I get in and get a chance to ask a question I have no idea what I'll
        do- I may pursue the 3rd party issue along the lines of "yes, this is a
        question for the Vice President and the Governor: do you have trouble
        sleeping knowing (a) you're whoring yourselves and our country's future to
        corrupt big business interests and (b) you're supressing the possibility
        of progressive political debate in this country by restricting access to
        the political arena to those who are in the two parties most heavily
        guilty of (a) (above) in a way that is clearly in violation of the spirit
        of the US electoral process and arguably a violation of the rights of
        assembly and free speech and (c) if the sort of supression referred to in
        (b) (above) were observed in a third world country you would endorse
        sanctions against that country"....
        Or something along those lines. Of course they would probably cut
        me off after the use of "whoring". Or I might just ask them to talk about
        their long term environmental policies. Or ask them about the relation
        between their conditions for debt relief for third world countries (sorry
        about the string of prepositions Deepa) and cultural and economic
        imperialism.
        I have issues: personal, professional, and political. I often
        think I should have found a way to get the hell out of the US for the
        election, vote absentee and read about it in The Economist.

        Have a Nice Evening.

        Feeling self-righteous, bitter, and a little salty in this an election
        year,

        Ken

        Kenneth Shockley
        Department of Philosophy