The Debate

  • Rand Wise
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2000
      Hey guys. Any feedback from the debate last night?

      I (Deb) was personally disgusted when Bush said that he'll forgive third
      world debt if countries give us valuable rain forests. Gore came off as a
      snakey liar.

      Ken, if by the grace of whoever it is that grants grace you get into the
      town hall meeting, could you pursue the 3rd world debt issue? My chips are
      all on you, big guy.

      Guess I'm gonna get some Ralph Nader signs for the yard. And a bumper
      sticker. Let's work to get him 5 % of the vote as to get matching funds for
      the next time around.

      Not normally a political person,
      Deb
    • Mark Holland
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2000
        Seconded. It has struck me this time around what a great country we live in,
        where every citizen has the right to vote against the candidate he or she
        hates the most.

        Mark

      • yewo98@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2000
          --- In ujeni@egroups.com, Mark Holland <holland@p...> wrote:
          > Seconded. It has struck me this time around what a great country
          we live in,
          > where every citizen has the right to vote against the candidate he
          or she
          > hates the most.
          >
          > Mark
          >
          > Rand Wise wrote:
          >
          > > Hey guys. Any feedback from the debate last night?
          > >
          > > I (Deb) was personally disgusted when Bush said that he'll
          forgive third
          > > world debt if countries give us valuable rain forests. Gore came
          off as a
          > > snakey liar.

          Christine Manchester wrote:

          Hey, I am usually just a reader of this fine commentary but in light
          of the debate last night, I thought you'd all like to know a little
          more about Nadar.
          "We're dealing here with the ultimate kamikaze dive into a
          corrupt
          two-party system. Our country is more important than their sleazy
          fundraisers and their sleazy debate commission, which is funded by
          Anheuser-Busch, tobacco companies, auto companies and all the others
          that have corporatized our entire society." -- 10.3.00

          Interesting info here:
          www.issues2000.org/Ralph_Nader.htm
          www.votenadar.org
          www.greens.org
          A semi-concerned voter---Chris
        • Kenneth E. Shockley
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 12, 2000
            Deb sez,

            > Ken, if by the grace of whoever it is that grants grace you get into the
            > town hall meeting, could you pursue the 3rd world debt issue? My chips
            are
            > all on you, big guy.

            Deb, et al.

            I am normally a political person. I am also an extraordinarily paranoid
            person, and am surprised that I have not seen a larger number of "book
            salesmen" milling about campus in bad shoes and aviators. I also still
            have a small chance of actually getting into the debate. If I am not in
            the debate I will be in the protest outside the debate, awaiting teargas.
            If I get in and get a chance to ask a question I have no idea what I'll
            do- I may pursue the 3rd party issue along the lines of "yes, this is a
            question for the Vice President and the Governor: do you have trouble
            sleeping knowing (a) you're whoring yourselves and our country's future to
            corrupt big business interests and (b) you're supressing the possibility
            of progressive political debate in this country by restricting access to
            the political arena to those who are in the two parties most heavily
            guilty of (a) (above) in a way that is clearly in violation of the spirit
            of the US electoral process and arguably a violation of the rights of
            assembly and free speech and (c) if the sort of supression referred to in
            (b) (above) were observed in a third world country you would endorse
            sanctions against that country"....
            Or something along those lines. Of course they would probably cut
            me off after the use of "whoring". Or I might just ask them to talk about
            their long term environmental policies. Or ask them about the relation
            between their conditions for debt relief for third world countries (sorry
            about the string of prepositions Deepa) and cultural and economic
            imperialism.
            I have issues: personal, professional, and political. I often
            think I should have found a way to get the hell out of the US for the
            election, vote absentee and read about it in The Economist.

            Have a Nice Evening.

            Feeling self-righteous, bitter, and a little salty in this an election
            year,

            Ken

            Kenneth Shockley
            Department of Philosophy