Re: [ujeni] mefloquin article

  • John Patten
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2000
      I wish PC would have told me more about that research
      by WHO going back to 1989, instead of glossing it over
      so much. But I did see a UFO, and that was cool.

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2000
        Serious and comical response:

        1. One thing I know is that I have seen people suffering from various forms
        of malaria, as well as several degrees. If you recall Pensulo, the
        mailclerk at PC for a while lost his son to malaria. Other PCVs who have
        had malaria would tell you also that it is not a pretty disease, especially
        cerebral. So even a prophylaxis that has side effects is better that the
        increased risk of liver cancer, malaria and the other ills associated with
        that pesky mosquito.

        2. State Department used to have a four page cable on the side effects of
        mefloquine, including most of those that were found in that article. Not to
        say that they gloss over or cover up the information; they just prefer the
        risks associated with the greater benefit. Especially since the other
        options have risks associated with them:

        Chloriquine/Palludrine: not quite effective against the more common as well
        as rare types of malaria.

        Doxy: The main drawback of this is that it MUST be taken daily...otherwise
        it is like you were not taking anything. Even the birth control pill allows
        for a two-pills-the-next-day fallback (or other types of birthcontrol) till
        the next month.

        But hey, I am no doctor, just a balding, hard of hearing, eyesight fading,
        no tanning guy trying to make a buck.

        Ciao for now...

        http://profiles.msn.com