Re: [ujeni] mefloquin article

  • Rand Wise
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2000
      Paul, we all chalked your somehow peculiar mannerisms up to mefloquin.
      Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, you know. d

      At 05:29 PM 10/10/2000 GMT, you wrote:
      >I must say...and as John said earlier I am leaving the floodgates of
      >commentary open wide...I was taking mefloquine for over ten years with no
      >ill effects. But I did notice that I don't sleep well all the time.
      >
      >As a PCT, I drank local tea alot, and never figured out why I couldn't
      >sleep..

    • John Patten
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2000
        I wish PC would have told me more about that research
        by WHO going back to 1989, instead of glossing it over
        so much. But I did see a UFO, and that was cool.

        http://mail.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2000
          Serious and comical response:

          1. One thing I know is that I have seen people suffering from various forms
          of malaria, as well as several degrees. If you recall Pensulo, the
          mailclerk at PC for a while lost his son to malaria. Other PCVs who have
          had malaria would tell you also that it is not a pretty disease, especially
          cerebral. So even a prophylaxis that has side effects is better that the
          increased risk of liver cancer, malaria and the other ills associated with
          that pesky mosquito.

          2. State Department used to have a four page cable on the side effects of
          mefloquine, including most of those that were found in that article. Not to
          say that they gloss over or cover up the information; they just prefer the
          risks associated with the greater benefit. Especially since the other
          options have risks associated with them:

          Chloriquine/Palludrine: not quite effective against the more common as well
          as rare types of malaria.

          Doxy: The main drawback of this is that it MUST be taken daily...otherwise
          it is like you were not taking anything. Even the birth control pill allows
          for a two-pills-the-next-day fallback (or other types of birthcontrol) till
          the next month.

          But hey, I am no doctor, just a balding, hard of hearing, eyesight fading,
          no tanning guy trying to make a buck.

          Ciao for now...