Re: [ujeni] mefloquin article

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2000
      I must say...and as John said earlier I am leaving the floodgates of
      commentary open wide...I was taking mefloquine for over ten years with no
      ill effects. But I did notice that I don't sleep well all the time.

      As a PCT, I drank local tea alot, and never figured out why I couldn't
      sleep..

        Paul, we all chalked your somehow peculiar mannerisms up to mefloquin.
        Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, you know. d

        At 05:29 PM 10/10/2000 GMT, you wrote:
        >I must say...and as John said earlier I am leaving the floodgates of
        >commentary open wide...I was taking mefloquine for over ten years with no
        >ill effects. But I did notice that I don't sleep well all the time.
        >
        >As a PCT, I drank local tea alot, and never figured out why I couldn't
        >sleep..

      • John Patten
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2000
          I wish PC would have told me more about that research
          by WHO going back to 1989, instead of glossing it over
          so much. But I did see a UFO, and that was cool.

          http://mail.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 10, 2000
            Serious and comical response:

            1. One thing I know is that I have seen people suffering from various forms
            of malaria, as well as several degrees. If you recall Pensulo, the
            mailclerk at PC for a while lost his son to malaria. Other PCVs who have
            had malaria would tell you also that it is not a pretty disease, especially
            cerebral. So even a prophylaxis that has side effects is better that the
            increased risk of liver cancer, malaria and the other ills associated with
            that pesky mosquito.

            2. State Department used to have a four page cable on the side effects of
            mefloquine, including most of those that were found in that article. Not to
            say that they gloss over or cover up the information; they just prefer the
            risks associated with the greater benefit. Especially since the other
            options have risks associated with them:

            Chloriquine/Palludrine: not quite effective against the more common as well
            as rare types of malaria.

            Doxy: The main drawback of this is that it MUST be taken daily...otherwise
            it is like you were not taking anything. Even the birth control pill allows
            for a two-pills-the-next-day fallback (or other types of birthcontrol) till
            the next month.

            But hey, I am no doctor, just a balding, hard of hearing, eyesight fading,
            no tanning guy trying to make a buck.

            Ciao for now...