Re: [ujeni] news

  • Rand Wise
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
      as B.F. Skinner noted, quoting Rousseau, "There is no subjugation so perfect
      as that which keeps the appearance of freedom"

      >Does any one else find it a little troubling that the Malawian government is
      >looking toward the United States as the epitomy of a free society? Epitomy?
      >Come one...

      Rand, Deb & Benjamin Wise
      2784 Mt. Olive Drive
      Decatur, GA 30033

      Email: wiserd@...
      Website: http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin
      (404) 327-5765

      See Benjamin at http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin

      "There is no situation that is not transfigurable."
      - Desmond Tutu
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 13, 2000
        I liked the appearance of Geena Davis much better...

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 13, 2000
          To address Bill's concern: I think the sum total of the media,
          politicians, and attitudes expressed by a lot of citizens do a good job of
          advertising that the US is the epitome of a free society. We're the land
          of the free, after all. And we have a very successful propaganda
          machine. We do not do so well at advertising that we don't always live up
          to our grand claims. In that respect, we're probably like every other
          country in the world.

          I can think of other times when the US has oversold itself. Remember the
          bombing of Belgrade? The world heard so much about our surgically precise
          military planning and hardware. How could we blame anyone then if they
          didn't believe that the bombing of the Chinese embassy was an accident?

          Eric