Re: [ujeni] news

  • wikernan@cs.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
      Does any one else find it a little troubling that the Malawian government is
      looking toward the United States as the epitomy of a free society? Epitomy?
      Come one...
    • Rand Wise
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
        as B.F. Skinner noted, quoting Rousseau, "There is no subjugation so perfect
        as that which keeps the appearance of freedom"

        >Does any one else find it a little troubling that the Malawian government is
        >looking toward the United States as the epitomy of a free society? Epitomy?
        >Come one...

        Rand, Deb & Benjamin Wise
        2784 Mt. Olive Drive
        Decatur, GA 30033

        Email: wiserd@...
        Website: http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin
        (404) 327-5765

        See Benjamin at http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin

        "There is no situation that is not transfigurable."
        - Desmond Tutu
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 13, 2000
          I liked the appearance of Geena Davis much better...

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 13, 2000
            To address Bill's concern: I think the sum total of the media,
            politicians, and attitudes expressed by a lot of citizens do a good job of
            advertising that the US is the epitome of a free society. We're the land
            of the free, after all. And we have a very successful propaganda
            machine. We do not do so well at advertising that we don't always live up
            to our grand claims. In that respect, we're probably like every other
            country in the world.

            I can think of other times when the US has oversold itself. Remember the
            bombing of Belgrade? The world heard so much about our surgically precise
            military planning and hardware. How could we blame anyone then if they
            didn't believe that the bombing of the Chinese embassy was an accident?

            Eric