Re: [ujeni] news

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
      Before being skewered by his enemy, Patrick Henry said, "I may not agree
      with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
        Does any one else find it a little troubling that the Malawian government is
        looking toward the United States as the epitomy of a free society? Epitomy?
        Come one...
      • Rand Wise
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
          as B.F. Skinner noted, quoting Rousseau, "There is no subjugation so perfect
          as that which keeps the appearance of freedom"

          >Does any one else find it a little troubling that the Malawian government is
          >looking toward the United States as the epitomy of a free society? Epitomy?
          >Come one...

          Rand, Deb & Benjamin Wise
          2784 Mt. Olive Drive
          Decatur, GA 30033

          Email: wiserd@...
          Website: http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin
          (404) 327-5765

          See Benjamin at http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin

          "There is no situation that is not transfigurable."
          - Desmond Tutu
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 13, 2000
            I liked the appearance of Geena Davis much better...

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 13, 2000
              To address Bill's concern: I think the sum total of the media,
              politicians, and attitudes expressed by a lot of citizens do a good job of
              advertising that the US is the epitome of a free society. We're the land
              of the free, after all. And we have a very successful propaganda
              machine. We do not do so well at advertising that we don't always live up
              to our grand claims. In that respect, we're probably like every other
              country in the world.

              I can think of other times when the US has oversold itself. Remember the
              bombing of Belgrade? The world heard so much about our surgically precise
              military planning and hardware. How could we blame anyone then if they
              didn't believe that the bombing of the Chinese embassy was an accident?

              Eric