Re: [ujeni] news

  • Rand Wise
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
      right on, rasta paul! d

      At 05:01 PM 09/12/2000 GMT, you wrote:

      > "When a practice infringes on a democratic
      > principles, althought it may be within the
      > constitutional provisions, it has to be put to
      > public test to gauge whether the majority are
      > comfortable with it", Ombudsman Chibwana
      > said.
      >
      >This is all Felix's fault. NDI was supposed to teach them that democracy
      >often looks out for the minority, not necessarily the majority
      >

      >Just because the majority is not comfortable with it, then that is not
      >necessarily the fault of the minority, nor is it a use to guage the
      >popularity of it.
      >
      >There are quite a few things that the majority are not pleased with but
      >tolerate to protect the status quo.

      >http://profiles.msn.com

      Rand, Deb & Benjamin Wise
      2784 Mt. Olive Drive
      Decatur, GA 30033

      Email: wiserd@...
      Website: http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin
      (404) 327-5765

      See Benjamin at http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin

      "There is no situation that is not transfigurable."
      - Desmond Tutu
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
        Before being skewered by his enemy, Patrick Henry said, "I may not agree
        with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

      • wikernan@cs.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
          Does any one else find it a little troubling that the Malawian government is
          looking toward the United States as the epitomy of a free society? Epitomy?
          Come one...
        • Rand Wise
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
            as B.F. Skinner noted, quoting Rousseau, "There is no subjugation so perfect
            as that which keeps the appearance of freedom"

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 13, 2000
              I liked the appearance of Geena Davis much better...

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 13, 2000
                To address Bill's concern: I think the sum total of the media,
                politicians, and attitudes expressed by a lot of citizens do a good job of
                advertising that the US is the epitome of a free society. We're the land
                of the free, after all. And we have a very successful propaganda
                machine. We do not do so well at advertising that we don't always live up
                to our grand claims. In that respect, we're probably like every other
                country in the world.

                I can think of other times when the US has oversold itself. Remember the
                bombing of Belgrade? The world heard so much about our surgically precise
                military planning and hardware. How could we blame anyone then if they
                didn't believe that the bombing of the Chinese embassy was an accident?

                Eric